[Scrum] New scrum law to be introduced immediately, apparently...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess we are lucky that our union and our societies don't go into a complete shut down during the summer.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
WR have informed the RFU, who in turn have informed all the Societies.
As and when Societies pass it on to referees depends on them, but the don't need to do it before the start of the season so may be waiting for the first pre-season meeting.

All very well until you have some pre-season matches before the Society Conference.

The RFU holds all emails of all match officials - as part of the CPD courses etc - and could have disseminated this information directly. WR followed protocol but the RFU(R) have been found slightly lacking, I would respectfully suggest.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, this is a common rugbyrefs.com gripe at moments like this.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd like to see, on the Laws site, a list of recent changes.
Wouldn't be hard to do

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess we are lucky that our union and our societies don't go into a complete shut down during the summer.

We even had a conference on Sunday with free buffet! (Did I manage to miss you Marc?)

The axial loading thing was mentioned, along with a thorough briefing on the new high tackle stuff and with a steer to cascade to our clubs.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
All very well until you have some pre-season matches before the Society Conference.

The RFU holds all emails of all match officials - as part of the CPD courses etc - and could have disseminated this information directly. WR followed protocol but the RFU(R) have been found slightly lacking, I would respectfully suggest.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, this is a common rugbyrefs.com gripe at moments like this.

Not everyone attends CPD courses, and your seriously not going to tell me that GMS is up to date? :buttkick:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We even had a conference on Sunday with free buffet! (Did I manage to miss you Marc?)

The axial loading thing was mentioned, along with a thorough briefing on the new high tackle stuff and with a steer to cascade to our clubs.

I was not there due to other commitments. A pity but summer Sundays are not good for me.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair to say it cost me a lot of brownie points :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
had my first taste of it yesterday in an U16s game. I don't think the players were doing anything new but I was now conscious of the issue.

There was no "axial loading" (ie the hooker's head was not in contact with opponent's shoulder) but his head was up such that, on the 'set' call, he needed to dip his head slightly to slide into position.

I required him to have his head lower on the 'bind' call so that he didn't need to dip his head at all.

Have I applied the law correctly?

Also, watched the Maori's v Fiji game. Nic Berry (not a tall ref) often stood some 5 - 7 metres from the scrum during the set up. I doubt he could have seen axial loading from that position.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I required him to have his head lower on the 'bind' call so that he didn't need to dip his head at all.

Have I applied the law correctly?

It might not have been necessary in terms of strict compliance with the new law, but it’s certainly within the spirit of what World Rugby is trying to achieve. Good management I’d say.