New Zealand flag redesign

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
for anyone that is really interested - here's the long list, of 40, just whittled down to the four

https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/the-nz-flag-your-chance-to-decide/gallery/

and on that site you can also read about the process is working
https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/the-nz-flag-your-chance-to-decide/the-process

That is interesting - honest.

Apart from noticing Kyle Lockwood seems to have too much time on his hands I do like this effort of his:-

View attachment 3280

I also like some of the long white cloud variants but it does not shout New Zealand like the fern does.

I'm not too vexed (see what did there?) at what gets chosen - it'll make it easier to do flags on Quiz Up!

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
To me the black is the All Blacks, the nation of New Zealand is far more than its Rugby Team, even if it is a very good one.

I realise other NZ sports teams wear black too, but the flag isn't a sports emblem (you have the Silver Fern for that) it's an emblem that represents the amazing country, and its people.

Perhaps I like the balance the red top gives to the red fill on the southern cross stars, whilst the fern itself sits pride of place.

But that's just my opinion.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The one with the red on top screams USA! USA! to me

NBA_logo-300x232.jpg

mlb-logo.jpg

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
To me the black is the All Blacks, the nation of New Zealand is far more than its Rugby Team, even if it is a very good one.

I realise other NZ sports teams wear black too, but the flag isn't a sports emblem (you have the Silver Fern for that) it's an emblem that represents the amazing country, and its people.

Perhaps I like the balance the red top gives to the red fill on the southern cross stars, whilst the fern itself sits pride of place.

But that's just my opinion.

The formal adoption of the current flag in 1902 ties in quite nicely with tha ABs 1905 so I would suggest the two are inextricably linked if only by "contemporaryness".

Perhaps the new flag should have had more black/red on to better reflect the Maori flag (below). The finalists don't seem to incorporate much of this at all (certainly not the white bits) and I'm not sure how that'd be viewed by those who know and/or have a vested interest in the outcome of the vote. The fern seems to have trumped southern cross and all the other symbols.

View attachment 3281

I look forward to the result - I like flags!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Damn it...I'm never gonna get that 10 mins back!

Good luck NZ with whatever you choose.....

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Each to their own, I find it quite interesting.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I prefer a flag that is both simple & distinctive.

Japanese flag is right up there. Could never be confused with any other.

By contrast, Afganistan flag is too cluttered & indistinct index.jpg

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
So instead of having two referendums as explained, why don;t they have one referendum with the current flag added to the choices?

didds
Because then you would split the vote amongst the people who want to change the flag and the original flag would almost certainly win, even if it only garnered a plurality of the vote (say 35%). If this happened you might get a situation where 65% of the population wanted to change the flag, but we wouldn't. Much better to pit the most popular alternative against the current one and see which is more popular.

It is the same model of referendum we used to change our voting system back in the 90's . We had a preliminary vote to decide on the best alternative (MMP, STV etc) and then it went against the First Past the Post system in a subsequent vote.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good heavens that is horrible and meaningless. I hope that gets nowhere near being voted on.

Not for me to say but I'd have to agree. This would be seen on the world stage as ... WTF?

It is interesting that the triangle is not common on national flags

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why not create a flag with different reverse and obverse sides? Paraguay's is slightly different on either side as are few US state flags. The former Soviet Republics' flags usually only had the hammer and sickle on the one side.

I'm not mad about the NZ triangular effort.

My favourite flag is the Seychelles and that's got a lot of triangles in it so it really depends how you put it all together.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The Nepalese national flag is effectively made from two triangles.

and, apparently, how to produce is written into the national constitution.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why not create a flag with different reverse and obverse sides? Paraguay's is slightly different on either side as are few US state flags. The former Soviet Republics' flags usually only had the hammer and sickle on the one side.

I'm not mad about the NZ triangular effort.

My favourite flag is the Seychelles and that's got a lot of triangles in it so it really depends how you put it all together.

Who want a child's puzzle as a national flag?

Childspuzzle.jpg