newbie tackler question

REF L INK

Post Likes
apologies if this has been asked before but new to forum. So blue player brings red player to ground thereby "tackles" him, doesn't go to ground but stays in contact, doesn't release then goes for ball having not been on ground so according to IRB laws isn't a "tackler". so pinged for no clear release of "tackled" red player or ok to jackle for ball???

Thanks in advance Doug

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
apologies if this has been asked before but new to forum.
So blue player brings red player to ground thereby "tackles" him, doesn't go to ground but stays in contact, doesn't release then goes for ball having not been on ground so according to IRB laws isn't a "tackler".

so pinged for no clear release of "tackled" red player or ok to jackle for ball???

Thanks in advance Doug

Hi Doug,
Welcome.

My advice is always reference the Laws as a starting point, in this case Law15.6 (c) is the answer to your question.
[LAWS]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]16.4 (c)
[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Players in opposition to the ball carrier who remain on their feet who bring the ball carrier to ground so that the player is tackled must release the ball and the ball carrier.

Those players may then play the ball providing they are on their feet and do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or a tackler closest to those players’ goal line.[/FONT]
[/LAWS]

So, if an opponent "takes a Ball Carrier to ground" then
a) release the BC
B) reposition ( if necessary ) to approach from the correct direction.
C) then go for the ball

So, in your scenario "staying in contact" = PK for no Clear release.

If you coach your u12 players to make their release 'Clear and Obvious' then they will get the benefit of referee decision making more often than not - probably.

Hope this helps.

REF L INK

Post Likes
thanks guys

I had called PK in several games recently, been questioned by one of my fellow coaches and a couple of the players concerned :hap: and
when consulting IRB laws at definitions at beginning of law 15 states that if opposition player has not gone to ground he is not a tackler
but as you say Browner, law section you've quoted clarifies this.
thanks and be prepared for more questions

Doug

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
:eek:fftopic: There seems to be an error with your badge Doug.
It should say Coventry Bees :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I had called PK in several games recently, been questioned by one of my fellow coaches and a couple of the players concerned :hap: and
when consulting IRB laws at definitions at beginning of law 15 states that if opposition player has not gone to ground he is not a tackler

but as you say Browner, law section you've quoted clarifies this.
thanks and be prepared for more questions

Doug
:eek:fftopic:
& you need to "be prepared" for more Banter from Liecester Tigers employees (Phil E) and other ruggar humourists as Wasps latest ( permanent this time?) relocation has reingnited a hibernating rivalry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...vertisement-opens-up-turf-war-with-Wasps.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-31144543

REF L INK

Post Likes
MMM wasps Leicester banter, how about rumour that Geordan Murphy is Joining Wasps as attack coach:D, as I'm from Wycombe I am a bit annoyed about the move ( I could walk to Adams park) but I can see why they've done it, and am still going for this season as my son is recovering from a rugby injury. but next it will be a few visits to Coventry fitted around HW fixtures and the "away" fixtures at quins, Irish and the south Africans

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
MMM wasps Leicester banter, how about rumour that Geordan Murphy is Joining Wasps as attack coach:D, as I'm from Wycombe I am a bit annoyed about the move ( I could walk to Adams park) but I can see why they've done it, and am still going for this season as my son is recovering from a rugby injury. but next it will be a few visits to Coventry fitted around HW fixtures and the "away" fixtures at quins, Irish and the south Africans[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the perfect flavour .... :biggrin:

REF L INK

Post Likes
Leicester and sarries supporters? is that allowed? I'd better behave nicely as I will undoubtedly need more answers to newbie questions

Cheers Doug