Newcastle RC

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
me as well, but we are referees.

In the stadium the vast majority of people (I note) don't have reflink, so they are seeing the replays only with none of the conversation or reasoning. - I conclude that they are not bothered to really understand it
- and I imagine that without the audio it must seem a long and boring process.
Another option, just at the top level like when they have TMO and HIA, is they have the direct link for ref to PA like in the NFL. Press a button on the belt and you have an open mic that broadcasts your explanation of the ruling both to the broadcaster and all around the stadium.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another option, just at the top level like when they have TMO and HIA, is they have the direct link for ref to PA like in the NFL. Press a button on the belt and you have an open mic that broadcasts your explanation of the ruling both to the broadcaster and all around the stadium.

That's what ref link does...at £10 a go.
Plus, when has anyone ever understood what's said over the tannoy?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am just not sure people are very interested (I know we all are !)

Viz
.. most people don't buy a reflink. And this is not cost, mine cost £10 and is about six seasons old (did have to replace battery)
..on twitter etc I observe plenty of opinions but hardly any of them refer to the ref/tmo dialogues , I don't think people care much

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
That's what ref link does...at £10 a go.
Plus, when has anyone ever understood what's said over the tannoy?
To clarify one thing, in the NFL, the audio is played over speakers in the stadium. Everyone can hear it (whether they want to or not), no device required.
The referees discuss as needed and then the head referee announces it via stadium speaker to everyone. However, no “explanation” is provided to the spectators; it’s just the decision and the sanction. But I think volun-selected’s point was that it’s a simple way to get an explanation to everyone, without devices or cost.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To clarify one thing, in the NFL, the audio is played over speakers in the stadium. Everyone can hear it (whether they want to or not), no device required.
The referees discuss as needed and then the head referee announces it via stadium speaker to everyone. However, no “explanation” is provided to the spectators; it’s just the decision and the sanction. But I think volun-selected’s point was that it’s a simple way to get an explanation to everyone, without devices or cost.

All Premiership clubs display the referees decision on the big screens.
Some better than others.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Small nitpick

For NFL - sometimes, the referee does provide a small explanation (i.e. feet/possession when a catch on the sideline/in the end zone).

If there is no explanation and the call does not change, note the language the referee uses - if the call "stands," that's short for "no concrete evidence to overturn." If the call is "confirmed," they are backing the original call with more certainty.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
@smeagol I have a colleague that has moved from the UK to the US, and he recently shared his opinion that American Football would be so much better if everyone could hear the officials talking through a decision the same way that rugby does, rather than only being told the outcome.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
still go back to what I sad before.
Best is a two tier service

For everyone : basic details announced on tannoy and big screen (ie the outcome) / replays on big screen
- this is enough for the majority of fans, they really aren't that interested in the details

For those who are interested : ref audio + TMO conversation + replays + text all delivered directly to users the best way tech allows.

Currently the best tech is
- ref-link for audio
- apps (eg the prem rugby app, bt sport app) for real time textual details
- twitter for video clips (often during the game)

In time, as bandwidth continues to expand, I can envisage increasingly app delivering audio + video and extra details to those interested

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
@smeagol I have a colleague that has moved from the UK to the US, and he recently shared his opinion that American Football would be so much better if everyone could hear the officials talking through a decision the same way that rugby does, rather than only being told the outcome.
Agree wholeheartedly re: full context; my boss has occasionally watched rugby on TV (either Prem or 6N on NBC Sports), and when he saw the ref and TMO work through the HCP, he asked me about it on Monday and appreciated having that full context as a very casual observer.

Re: NFL, I doubt TPTB will ever allow for that full conversation to be broadcast, but there are ways to understand the call when analyzing the language used, which was the point I was trying to make.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Tha is exactly what occurs in the NRL

The bunker's decsion is broadcast throughout the stadium

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
- apps (eg the prem rugby app, bt sport app) for real time textual details

Not sure about PRL, but the BT App is anything but real time.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Tha is exactly what occurs in the NRL

The bunker's decsion is broadcast throughout the stadium
After this weekend, and previous ones, I wouldn't be holding out the bunker as the gold standard in anything.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Haven’t TMO decisions (via the ref) been communicated to the entire stadium for a while now? I seem to recall a few clips of refs asking them to ‘cut back to me’ once the decision was reached?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Haven’t TMO decisions (via the ref) been communicated to the entire stadium for a while now? I seem to recall a few clips of refs asking them to ‘cut back to me’ once the decision was reached?
you can't hear the conversation in a stadium (unless you have reflink)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
you can't hear the conversation in a stadium (unless you have reflink)

It's a bit hit and miss as to whom you hear on Reflink (official name is Fan Radio, Reflink was the trade name of the crappy Twickenham one which has now died a death). It's entirely dependant on what feed the broadcaster sends to the host club for the Reflink Transmitter (hosted by the club).

Despite always asking for the full MO clean audio feed, sometimes you might not get the TMO, sometimes you might not get the AR's, sometimes you get the pitch mikes (crowd noise), or any combination of those with the ref. If its a European match you might have a (for instance) French Team of Four, and all none player discussions between them are in French.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I love it, I also appreciate the way that all (or most?) clubs use the same system so that it works at away games as as well as home. My fan radio worked at Twickenham on saturday for the Quins games. Also they have used the same systme for some time so no need to upgrade, and it's very good value for money.

notfat

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This. dont want a RC? dont leave your shoulder/head etc anywhere near where the BCs head Its not as if he looked to trackle the knees and the BC got knocked 2 feet downwards .

And wrap your arms. FFS.

RC every day of the week.
Lets stop giving cop out excuses to not award a RC.
This every day of the week