[Law] Next year's Law Trials

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I do believe that the kicking side used to have the throw in during an earlier period in the game's development. Even possibly when I started playing. OB...? Not to the restrictions outlined in the article though.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I do believe that the kicking side used to have the throw in during an earlier period in the game's development. Even possibly when I started playing. OB...? Not to the restrictions outlined in the article though.
Slightly before my time, but up to 1880, the first person to touch the ball down after it had crossed the touch line earned the right to throw it back in.

Since then the right has belonged to the opposition, with the exception since 1992 of a PK kicked into touch.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Each one of these as a stand-alone law change can be justified but as ever the devil will be in the wording and law of unintended consequence.

The logic behind the “50-22” makes sense but sounds like it may lead to an increase in catch and drive play which I know isn’t everyone’s favourite form of entertainment.

Lowering the tackle height was abandoned as a trial in the Championship this season because of increased concussion suffered by the tackler. What constitutes shorts level? Is that where the tackler places his shoulder or where his head ends up (ie in the picture of the Wales online article is AWJ legal if he tackles like that?)

Banning 2 man tackles again sounds sensible but in practice may be difficult to implement and referee. In practice it will also be very difficult to judge, for instance if player 1 takes the initial hit from the ball carrier and holds him up so player 2 can tackle him is that a two man tackle or are we only talking about two players physically tackling the ball carrier to the ground? What happens from the base of a ruck with the defence set on their own goal-line – how do guard and bodyguard co-ordinate against a pick and go? None of these is insurmountable but looks like it won’t make the referee’s job any easier.

I remain hopeful that they will still look at sorting out the ruck, either by new laws or even by refereeing the current laws properly but overall not much in these proposed trials alters my view that law changes are almost entirely in response to developments in the professional game and very little to do with grass roots rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder will the 50 22 law include a 'carried back' provision ? I expect so.

I think that 50 22 is going to be hard to manage for a solo ref with inattentive subs acting as TJs

Often I think the ref will not be close enough to the 22m line to make a judgement on close calls, and the TJ will be no help

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At what point does an attempt to setup a maul become a two man tackle (or vice versa) and you have to start screaming at people to release? Becomes a nightmare, had some experience of this reffing minis under the NROP where you have two, then three man mauls as they progress - it's the most illogical thing to tell people to 'not get involved'

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Has anyone a better l.ink to these law trials - wales online is impossible to use with its cludgy set ups and pop ups and block overs and the rest of the shit in it

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone a better l.ink to these law trials - wales online is impossible to use with its cludgy set ups and pop ups and block overs and the rest of the shit in it

WRT 50/22... what "problem" is this designed to overcome? Box kicking duels? And?

didds

didds

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes

didds

- - - Updated - - -

WRT 50/22... what "problem" is this designed to overcome? Box kicking duels? And?

didds

didds

The article suggests the idea is to put more players in the back field and therefore open up space across the defensive line - fewer big hits as more space to run into....better for player welfare and create more attacking rugby potentially?!?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The article suggests the idea is to put more players in the back field and therefore open up space across the defensive line - fewer big hits as more space to run into....better for player welfare and create more attacking rugby potentially?!?

But only a trial will tell us what would actually happen

I think it's a bit wierd to create yet another incentive to kick the ball off the field (which is the oddest thing in rugby, I don't think any other game rewards teams so much for kicking the ball out..)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Let's do what they do in cricket then, you must have so many fielders inside / outside the rope, 10m law for offside at any point on the pitch outside the 22 anyone? :wtf:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I like the idea of the 50 22 and , having watched much RL, it does get applauded as a piece of skill. It shouldnt be too onerous on a ref, given we already are required to make a judgment on close-calls near the 22 line.
It might mean we have to get fitter as there will be more line-breaks with fewer defenders in the D-line.

Overall, a positive attempt to be creative and reduce the injuries ( and sadly the fatalities as has happened in France this season !).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The difficulty I foresee is the ball that bounces close to the 22m line .. the ref is unlikely to be sure whether it bounced inside or outside the 22 , and the TJ wasn't paying attention

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The difficulty I foresee is the ball that bounces close to the 22m line .. the ref is unlikely to be sure whether it bounced inside or outside the 22 , and the TJ wasn't paying attention

Just like bouncing next to the touchline then. Ref just has to make a decision and sell it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just like bouncing next to the touchline then. Ref just has to make a decision and sell it.

Yea, but the TJ is much more likely to have a view on that .. they know it's their job, and they don't need to be close to make that call ..

As a comparison i would say that when ball goes into touch close to the 22m the Touch Judge usually can't tell you whether the mark of touch is outside or inside the 22 as they weren't paying attention and didn't think it was important

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yea, but the TJ is much more likely to have a view on that .. they know it's their job, and they don't need to be close to make that call ..

As a comparison i would say that when ball goes into touch close to the 22m the Touch Judge usually can't tell you whether the mark of touch is outside or inside the 22 as they weren't paying attention and didn't think it was important

Same answer. Make a decision and sell it.
"Sorry Skipper, your TJ doesn't know where it bounced so we will go with my decision."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Same answer. Make a decision and sell it.
"Sorry Skipper, your TJ doesn't know where it bounced so we will go with my decision."

So we agree, then , an increased number occasions where we have to make unsighted decisions from a distance and sell them.

Not sure what point you are making

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So we agree, then , an increased number occasions where we have to make unsighted decisions from a distance and sell them.

Not sure what point you are making

That this is nothing new.

We already have to make decision like this where the lines aren't painted well, the TJ is talking to the physio, or we just get a blocked sight line.

You seem to be trying to say this is a new problem, but its not, just a variation on a current one.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am saying it increases the number of times it happens .

Decisions based on distant lines and planes are bad news for a ref (it's why we have TJ at all) . I prefer Laws that reduce the incidence of guess work ..

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I am saying it increases the number of times it happens .

Decisions based on distant lines and planes are bad news for a ref (it's why we have TJ at all) . I prefer Laws that reduce the incidence of guess work ..

Simple solution, to the 55/22 unsighted issue. Move the 22 flags back onto the touchline. It would only be for balls that land in the FoP.