[Law] Next year's Law Trials

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The difficulty I foresee is the ball that bounces close to the 22m line .. the ref is unlikely to be sure whether it bounced inside or outside the 22 , and the TJ wasn't paying attention

the way I'm reading it, the ball just needs to bounce before going into touch inside 22. Not that ball needs to bounce inside 22.

We have some pitches here that are so short due to geographical constraints that the 10 metre line and 22 are about 1 metre from each other.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have some pitches here that are so short due to geographical constraints that the 10 metre line and 22 are about 1 metre from each other.

Well, Australia is well known for being very cramped , and short of space :) ..

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The 50/22 trial doesn’t work in practice for me. What would happen? Team A have the ball on the half way line and take a pot shot for the corner. If successful they get the line out, success. If not, it is fielded by the defence who deep in their 22 have limited options but to kick either out or deep. Result : Team A get the line out near the half way line, or field a kick and have another go at the kick into the 22 option. For team A there is little risk, for team B little option to get out without taking risk.

In tight games, this could get quite boring.

I like the option that any kick out without bouncing causes you to lose the line out form the point of the kick and hence keeps the ball in play.
The game needs to become more aerobic somehow.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The 50/22 trial doesn’t work in practice for me..

you mean that for you it doesn't work in theory

to see whether it works in practice, we will have to wait and see what happens in the trials

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This in turn would fatigue the players more,

this is an odd objective. Achieve the same thing by getting players to do 20 burpees at every scrum.