Nice line in Flanker binds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting Bind by Peter O'Mahony at the scrum, going under Archer's leg, rather than over Kleyn's back.

Do2JQZNX4AUWqSj.jpg

Leinster Vs Munster

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I thought all non FR players had to bind onto a Lock. :chin:

I'm pretty sure it's a FK offence .... if ATP doesn't work.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
19.7d. The sanction is a penalty

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I would probably not use ATP in that situation. The prop is getting a distinct advantage by having his flanker support him directly. Go straight to PK is what I would do in all but the lowest grades.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I would probably not use ATP in that situation. The prop is getting a distinct advantage by having his flanker support him directly.
Good point. Was this picked up in real time Marc?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I would probably not use ATP in that situation. The prop is getting a distinct advantage by having his flanker support him directly. Go straight to PK is what I would do in all but the lowest grades.

agree. If he started his bind on the 2nd row, then slipped it early would you ATP that scenario, or just PK?

didds

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
agree. If he started his bind on the 2nd row, then slipped it early would you ATP that scenario, or just PK?

didds
If it was an accident then I might be inclined to be lenient, especially if the scrum had already been won by the time the slip happened. IT's hard to tell from a still shot, but the photo makes it look like it was deliberate.

If it was a winger trying to play flanker I'd probably just laugh.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There was a certain Brumbies flanker that used to do this all the time. He would bind directly onto his loosehead prop in order to help him turn in on the opposing tighthead's neck. That loosehead prop was forced to retire early from the game. He had sought medical advice after experiencing numbness in his left hand and arm. In 2005, his doctors told him that if he didn't have his neck injury corrected, he could end up with a permanent disability in his left hand, but he continued to play in 2006 until a third doctor warned him against playing. He decided to retire.

Later in 2006, he underwent surgery to correct nerve damage in his neck.

I'm not telling you all this to be snarky about some Aussie rugby player. I'm pointing out that this is a dangerous technique with potential serious consequences for the prop. The fact that is gives him a clear, illegally gained advantage over his opponent is not as important as the fact that it could have serious, long term health consequences.

Referees will be doing the prop a big favour by ruthlessly penalising this action.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What do top level referees do between calling bind and calling engage?
I thought they were meant to be checking binds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
He did it through just about every scrum with no sanction.
Isn't this just the sort of thing TMO's could be keeping an eye out for?

Lets be blunt, they can easily check for nonsense like this in slow mo at down time and call it into the Ref.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What do top level referees do between calling bind and calling engage?
I thought they were meant to be checking binds

Yes but be honest, when you are checking binds are you looking for a flanker binding on a prop? I’m looking for long prop binds, square and stable, flankers and no. 8 bound, but I’ve never checked for this sort of thing (although I’ll be having a look occasionally in future,!)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes but be honest, when you are checking binds are you looking for a flanker binding on a prop? I’m looking for long prop binds, square and stable, flankers and no. 8 bound, but I’ve never checked for this sort of thing (although I’ll be having a look occasionally in future,!)

I'm not looking for particular things, but I am looking for a picture that I recognise with the one stored in my head.
I would hope alarm bells would ring when the picture didn't match.