Nigel in action

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think Owens will get two in a row though

I heard a rumour that he's said he won't do another one unless there's nobody else (feeling it wasn't fair for any referee to get more than one World Cup final)

He might have an interesting decision to make if it's an England-France final!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For everyones entertainment, more Nigel..

So an interesting discussion point perhaps ..calling the referee Sir. .outdated anachronism? Or part if the values of rugby that we should uphold ?

https://rugbyonslaught.com/watch-ni...-is-the-reason-why-hes-the-best-in-the-world/

As for "is this safe ti drink? " What is he on about? You coukd hear the bafflement in the players Of course it is.
Nigel scraping the joke barrel I think

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As for "is this safe ti drink? " What is he on about? You coukd hear the bafflement in the players Of course it is.

You don't like Nigel Owens. That is obvious from your various posts about him.

But I don't understand your comment above. I don't hear any bafflement, I see a player smiling and laughing with Nigel and giving him a wink at the end. How is that bafflement?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like him , but I think his banter has gone over the top.

For almost all of those player this is the most important rugby game they will ever play. I don't think it's respectful for the ref to treat their game as a bit of a light hearted entertainment

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
So an interesting discussion point perhaps ..calling the referee Sir. .outdated anachronism? Or part if the values of rugby that we should uphold ?

Pedantry, perhaps, but I think it's more the culture than the values. Speaking to the referee in respectful terms helps foster a culture of respect.

But what would the alternative be?

'Ref' is the best I can think of, but don't like it since you automatically think it's coming from the touchline.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Playing in NZ in 1992, in a pre season meeting with a ref etc that ref said "Don't call us Sir!"

that was a quarter of a century ago.

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Playing in NZ in 1992, in a pre season meeting with a ref etc that ref said "Don't call us Sir!"

that was a quarter of a century ago.

didds

That's Colonials for you :booty:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One of our top female refs is quite comfortable with 'Sir'

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have watched most of the game and came away thinking how easy he made refereeing the game look, as well as the two ARs. Admittedly it was a much lower level game than that in which he (they) normally officiates in.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

2 University sides ... a bit of fun.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have no problem with NO as a referee. His interaction with the players works for him, a balance of humour with strictness when required. He is clearly excellent at game management and a top class referee. The game will be poorer without him (and WB) when they retire.

Now as an AR that’s a whole different question :smile:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For many of the players the most important game they will ever play in

Sure but its still a university game. Asking the water boy what's in the drink would be de rigueur, I would have thought.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by crossref

For many of the players the most important game they will ever play in

Sure but its still a university game. Asking the water boy what's in the drink would be de rigueur, I would have thought.

Waterbottles.jpg Just remember to pass to the left!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ye, it sends a message . It may be an important game for you, but for me it's still only a university game

But don't you think both those things, the water, and don't call me sir , I from west Wales, were asides to the TV and YouTube, rather than for game management?

Last edited:

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
For those that never play in a bigger game for the rest of their careers, I think Nigel and his banter would only make their important day even more memorable.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
An experienced referee judging the "spirit" of the game well. A little humour can help (if you can carry it off) to keep a lid on emotions. Players are tense, because of the high importance of the game. A smile goes a long way to calming those nerves.

One of the problems I get when looking at referees in order to give feedback for my club. Is that some of the guys I know well seem to have had a personality transplant when they become (Welsh) premiership referees. All their empathy with the games and the humour, that got them there is gone. They are so nervous. We had a guy two seasons ago. He was terrible. I remember watching him "unofficially" for our appointment guy about 7 or 8 years ago whn he was enjoying the game. This time he was so different and it reflected in his display. I asked him where was they young guy I once knew who liked rugby? Thankfully he seems to have regains his smile and he is a much better ref for it.

Nigel is Nigel. The players know what he is like and, by and large, they welcome it.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But don't you think both those things, the water, and don't call me sir , I from west Wales, were asides to the TV and YouTube, rather than for game management?

I thought they were just genuine personality and banter, and the same conversation would have happened with no TV in a swamp in the sticks somewhere, think you're looking for things that just aren't there TBH