Nigel Owens - Diolch yn fawr iawn (Thank you very much)

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last edited:

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Agreed. His ability and enthusiasm shone through.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sense of humour and management technique transplant needed.

I've not spoke to one player from Semi-pro up who has objected to Nigel's style. Plenty of "armchair experts" hate him. His style is not for most. We'd look stupid if we tried it. But he reads players nd has an empathy that (many) others do not have.

One of the best but, YES, padt his best now it is time to go. Let's hope he keeps his "promise and drops down into the community game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sense of humour and management technique transplant needed.

oh, he's funny, all right

the question is whether it's appropriate for refs to make jokes at the expense of players

but of course a great ref

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You seem to be in very small group who don't get it. Perhaps that says more about you than Nigel?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Q1 is it ok for referees to make funny wisecracks that embarrass or humiliate players ?
Q2 is it ok for Nigel Owens to make funny wisecracks that embarrass or humiliate players?

For me it's No and No
I accept that for Q2 I am in a tiny minority, but for Q1 believe not

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What are a players’ list of expectations from a referee? If they are prioritised then embarrassing a player would come lower in the list than being a cheat, allowing unsafe behaviour, not knowing the laws and how to apply them equitably and consistently, not understanding the context of the game and the nature of play. Embarrassing and humiliating a player ideally shouldn’t happen but these generally are forgivable by players while the former probably aren’t if they give the wrong result and cost the players financially as well as status. Luckily NO is better at achieving the former list than most.
The players know what they are going to get when they know that NO has been appointed. They perhaps expect the occasional ‘quip’ just as they perhaps expect him to be accurate and fair. Every referee if he is known to players/teams comes with a ‘package’ and this applies at community level as well as international. If a team/teams or players had real issues with a ref then the people appointing would receive the message and that referee would not be appointed. Judging by the number of appointments NO has had at various levels and in the numerous competitions I would suggest that there haven’t been many complaints.

I know that some players even at the level I refereed weren’t particularly happy to see me turn up but thankfully from the feedback I got and the appointments I had, the vast majority were very happy with the ‘package’ I brought to the game. What you get away with as a ref depends on the respect that players have for you. NO has earned respect so can get away with an approach that others without the necessary respect couldn’t. What a referee mustn’t do is copy another referee’s approach if they haven’t got the personality or the respect of players. I personally played up to being a ‘self deprecating miserable sod’ which seemed to allow me to get in the odd bit of humiliating banter with players.:)

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Q1 is it ok for referees to make funny wisecracks that embarrass or humiliate players ?
Q2 is it ok for Nigel Owens to make funny wisecracks that embarrass or humiliate players?

For me it's No and No
I accept that for Q2 I am in a tiny minority, but for Q1 believe not

THe point is that there isno evidence to suggest that the players agree with you. Nice of you to take offence on their behalf though.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What are a players’ list of expectations from a referee? If they are prioritised then embarrassing a player would come lower in the list than being a cheat, allowing unsafe behaviour, not knowing the laws and how to apply them equitably and consistently, not understanding the context of the game and the nature of play. Embarrassing and humiliating a player ideally shouldn’t happen but these generally are forgivable by players while the former probably aren’t if they give the wrong result and cost the players financially as well as status. Luckily NO is better at achieving the former list than most.
The players know what they are going to get when they know that NO has been appointed. They perhaps expect the occasional ‘quip’ just as they perhaps expect him to be accurate and fair. Every referee if he is known to players/teams comes with a ‘package’ and this applies at community level as well as international. If a team/teams or players had real issues with a ref then the people appointing would receive the message and that referee would not be appointed. Judging by the number of appointments NO has had at various levels and in the numerous competitions I would suggest that there haven’t been many complaints.

I know that some players even at the level I refereed weren’t particularly happy to see me turn up but thankfully from the feedback I got and the appointments I had, the vast majority were very happy with the ‘package’ I brought to the game. What you get away with as a ref depends on the respect that players have for you. NO has earned respect so can get away with an approach that others without the necessary respect couldn’t. What a referee mustn’t do is copy another referee’s approach if they haven’t got the personality or the respect of players. I personally played up to being a ‘self deprecating miserable sod’ which seemed to allow me to get in the odd bit of humiliating banter with players.:)

SPOT ON! Put far better than I could.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks Nigel.

Good stuff.

His style is not to everyone's taste (usually whistle tone and white laces aficionados in my experience :)) but it worked for him and he's refereed a World Cup Final and most of us haven't. He spoke at a dinner I attended and he is a funny man.

The only thing that makes me wish there wasn't a "Nigel style" is when other referees (and I've heard them) try a Nige one liner - they can't do it and it's terrible to hear. The worst one to "plagiarise" is "I don't believe we've met before, but I'm the referee".

I think if it was just a job he'd have gone years ago but I get the impression he loves what he does. After that time-up/put the clock back 5 seconds/was time up when it cross between the posts episode I thought perhaps it's time. I'm glad he got to 100 tests - tremendous achievement.

I don't think he'd like to be remembered for his one liners (dunno - maybe he would?) but rather for his accuracy, his empathy and his management. He's been good value and in my view one of the best two or three refs in the "professional era".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
T

I don't think he'd like to be remembered for his one liners (dunno - maybe he would?) but rather for his accuracy, his empathy and his management. He's been good value and in my view one of the best two or three refs in the "professional era".

yes. agreed. It's a shame that the focus of the 'obits' is - of course - the one liners.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think he has been a terrifica ambassador for the game, and for refereeing.

One of the best? Maybe. I am waiting for Ian to come and repeat his concerns about positioning - for an Elite referee, Nigel had to do more scurrying than most.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks Nigel.

The only thing that makes me wish there wasn't a "Nigel style" is when other referees (and I've heard them) try a Nige one liner - they can't do it and it's terrible to hear. The worst one to "plagiarise" is "I don't believe we've met before, but I'm the referee".

Spot on. Do try to be wjhat yo uare not. Clearly it worked for Nigel. Players speak of him fondly. Would they do that if the found him rude etc?

Crossref has a bee in his bonnet. Perhaps Nigel refused to be him a chip for the other shoulder?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What did he do if any player "quipped" back at him?