Nigel Owens loss of form

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Calling someone an idiot is different and unacceptable, please refrain from insults.

Hi Phil. I wrote "I dislike arguing with idiots ... assumption that (Ian Cook) is not an idiot".

However, Ian Cook, before I posted in this thread at all, wrote "X is an idiot with zero credibility" (where X is some journalist) in the context of "sarcastically misquoting" the phrase "some of what X says resonates ...".

I strongly doubt that my assumption that Ian is not an idiot is anything like as insulting to him as his implication that I (and A.N. Other) am one by association.

Please remember that I cannot block Ian's comments; I have complained about his abuse of position before.

Phil, if you were unaware that it was I who Ian was insinuating to be "idiot with zero credibility" like this journalist, then my apologies.

Not that I expect any apologies from Ian, just that he doesn't do it again. If he can't promise to do that, then he shouldn't be moderating.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Jones' article (although laced with bitterness) raises a very valid point. We saw some grotesque and incompetent inconsistency from that ref on Saturday. Nonu should have been dispatched to the bin earlier. Haskell was lucky he didn't get thrown to the bin either. It defies logic and common sense that Owens rightfully sends the English bloke to the bin for a cynical slow down, yet he didn't send the All Black around 10 minutes later.

What we saw was a grotesquely weak performance from an inconsistent referee. Let's hope the IRB stands up for inconsistency so SA, NZ, Argentina and Australia don't have to put up with his nonsense in the Rugby Championship. Owens clearly wasn't up to standards needed and should quite frankly take a hike to reflect the damage he has inflicted on public confidence of IRB refereeing standards. What a joke.

What an over-reaction!

I though NO had a poor game (by his usually high standards) on Saturday and I guess he, more than anyone, will be disappointed when he conducts his review of the match.

I don't go overboard with gushing priase of NO (on all and any occasion) as some members on here seem to but similarly your summing up is over the top too IMO.

That from a person from the same country that produced Stuart Dickinson :biggrin:

I hope NO is back on form soon - I assume from your post he destined to do a game or two in TRC?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Never mind.
Write out one thousand times: I must not engage. I must not engage.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jones' article (although laced with bitterness) raises a very valid point. We saw some grotesque and incompetent inconsistency from that ref on Saturday. Nonu should have been dispatched to the bin earlier. Haskell was lucky he didn't get thrown to the bin either. It defies logic and common sense that Owens rightfully sends the English bloke to the bin for a cynical slow down, yet he didn't send the All Black around 10 minutes later.

What we saw was a grotesquely weak performance from an inconsistent referee. Let's hope the IRB stands up for inconsistency so SA, NZ, Argentina and Australia don't have to put up with his nonsense in the Rugby Championship. Owens clearly wasn't up to standards needed and should quite frankly take a hike to reflect the damage he has inflicted on public confidence of IRB refereeing standards. What a joke.

whilst entitled to your own opinion of course, I think that you are somewhat over-harsh and excessive in your criticism of NO's performance. I would be interested in what objective evidence you have that supports your claims that this was a "grotesquely weak performance from an inconsistent referee".

what damage has he inflicted on public confidence in IRB refereeing standards ?

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
no real excuse but nigel did have a poor night's sleep (so he says) and was still a tad jetlagged- he did look tired and a little off form, elite refs are more and more being asaked to trust themselves, depower their AR'S - i think this is wrong - should have sought advice re knock ons(or empowered AR's to call in such in his breif.) No real issued with no AB Yc - we are all a little more cautious, use warnings in those pick and drive with little progress situations near goalline) . re stephen jones - he is paid to provoke debate and seems to earn his corn (always amuses me) though i wish he would take the point (which i shared with him along with copious claret for 2 hrours on eurostar ) that momentum pass has never been forward - it is not a "new" irb inventoion .

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jones' article (although laced with bitterness) raises a very valid point. We saw some grotesque and incompetent inconsistency from that ref on Saturday. Nonu should have been dispatched to the bin earlier. Haskell was lucky he didn't get thrown to the bin either. It defies logic and common sense that Owens rightfully sends the English bloke to the bin for a cynical slow down, yet he didn't send the All Black around 10 minutes later..

Makes me wonder if you've actually watched the game chief. Marlon Yarde's YC was in the 70th minute! 10 minutes later, they were all shaking hands!

If you were talking about Fekitoa, that was 8 minutes earlier.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
no real excuse but nigel did have a poor night's sleep (so he says) and was still a tad jetlagged-

The mind boggles. The IRB are flying refs in from the other side of the world, with just one night's sleep to get over jetlag?

shurely shome mishtake?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi Phil. I wrote "I dislike arguing with idiots ... assumption that (Ian Cook) is not an idiot".

However, Ian Cook, before I posted in this thread at all, wrote "X is an idiot with zero credibility" (where X is some journalist) in the context of "sarcastically misquoting" the phrase "some of what X says resonates ...".

I strongly doubt that my assumption that Ian is not an idiot is anything like as insulting to him as his implication that I (and A.N. Other) am one by association.

Please remember that I cannot block Ian's comments; I have complained about his abuse of position before.

Phil, if you were unaware that it was I who Ian was insinuating to be "idiot with zero credibility" like this journalist, then my apologies.

Not that I expect any apologies from Ian, just that he doesn't do it again. If he can't promise to do that, then he shouldn't be moderating.

Get down off your high horse Rushforth, and stop trying make something out of nothing. What part of "Stephen Jones is an idiot with zero credibility" escapes you. The comment was not directed at you or your friend Browner, it was simply a statement of my opinion of Jones, one that you will find is almost universally shared among rugby fans, at least by those who are capable of thinking for themselves. The man is little more than a paid troll.

As for not being able to block my comments, well, do you seriously want us to believe that you do not have the willpower or mental fortitude to simply not read what I post?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ceratinly a hint that a ruck had already formed before he tries to get hands on?

didds

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks seen it now.

It's a judgement call - NO rules that Kevin M gets his hands on the ball before the ruck forms - it's tight and could have gone the other way but it's not a shocker for my money.

Saturday morning live I thought it was outrageous!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I personally don't think so. I think the ruck beat Mealamu (obviously NO didn't and thought he had a hand on the ball prior to the ruck...White was initially isolated). It was unusual for NO to call black to roll away and then reward them with the ball? (That delayed roll away would likely had an relevant affect).

However, having said that, the immediate previous ruck, IMO ABs deserved the ball (PK). black #18 had the dominance (on his feet) all over an isolated white BC lying over the ball!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Without watching it again, which I can do when home, my initial reaction was ruck formed and he couldn't play it. But I had my white shirt on!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I personally don't think so. I think the ruck beat Mealamu (obviously NO didn't and thought he had a hand on the ball prior to the ruck...White was initially isolated). It was unusual for NO to call black to roll away and then reward them with the ball? (That delayed roll away would likely had an relevant affect).

However, having said that, the immediate previous ruck, IMO ABs deserved the ball (PK). black #18 had the dominance (on his feet) all over an isolated white BC lying over the ball!

I breathed a sigh of relief at the #18 incident Menace, and then was gobsmarked at Mealamu's purchase/con of that PK. NOs instruction of black to desist was Loud&O, white Ruck clearer had got rid of both jackler/tackler legitimately, two other players were clearly detatched of which Mealamu was one. Mealamu's exaggerated ball pulling motion must've befuddled NO.

Both examples are below the level I expect from NO, surprisingly and disappointingly, maybe some waitress called Suzie served him dinner the night before !

I've a Q for the statistician librarians amongst this audience , can anyone produce NO 'card' stats for the matches he's refereed for the AB at home?
This site suggests such records are kept. http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/untouchables/

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've a Q for the statistician librarians amongst this audience , can anyone produce NO 'card' stats for the matches he's refereed for the AB at home?

i'll bet he hasn't done enough AB home games for it to be statistically significant.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The mind boggles. The IRB are flying refs in from the other side of the world, with just one night's sleep to get over jetlag?

shurely shome mishtake?

didds

Nigel flew to NZ from the UK the day after he refereed the Rabo Pro12 final.