Nigel Owens loss of form

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Is it just me or is that Nigel Owens 3rd poor game on the bounce. Yarde's YC was fully deserved but M'aa Nonu should have been on the sidelines for 10 minutes as well. also that mess at the 5m line should have seen another one on the side as well.

Very poor IMO

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I called it here, about three games ago!
Too much focus on his witty bon mot destined for youtube and after dinner stand up , not enough on the game. (cue much derision from everyone elae)

Actually I thought NO looked less than comfortable in himself during some passages, not quite projecting the normal assuredness

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ever notice that he avoids eye contact with the players?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This isn't aimed at just NO - it is happening in the live game now too, and over the last few weekends. It seems there is a reluctance to penalise slow moving defenders, and a tendency to allow arriving defenders to wrestle for the ball, then a call of "release"... Then pause, then they let go. There have been a lot of slow and untidy breakdowns with (in my eyes) cynical disruption of attacking possession. I hope they look at it and tighten up a bit

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
By the time the referee assesses/ communicates and players hear /react ... The damage is done. Early in game I'd rather see assess & penalise to establish the expectation

The more the referee micro manages these situations the more he has to, too much being asked of them

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well good to see he pulled one scrum put in as not straight but how on earth did England not get the foot up decision. The England front row were in absolute ascendency and Coles was well and truly stuffed. It was put behind his foot and they were still going backwards.

No advantage gained from a position of superiority so no benefit from having a powerful scrum. The commentators didn't comment either but I suppose for some the scrum is just a mean to restart the game and not an intrinsic part of the beautiful battle!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Well good to see he pulled one scrum put in as not straight ............ for some the scrum is just a mean to restart the game and not an intrinsic part of the beautiful battle!

Or.....
Bad he only pulled one scrum as not straight ..........
& for those who think like that, there is another code to join.

Mike Cron doesn't need to campaign to change the feed to +2 ball widths, NO is already sanctioning 2.5 - 3 !

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Isn't Nigel doing what he's always done and teams are now adapting to him, pushing and bending the law to breaking point in trying to gain the small advantages?

His great games have had very low penalty counts and he may well be trying to maintain this aspect a little too much.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I wonder how good of a game he would have had if england had won?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
unfortunately I have to wait to watch it later tonight.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
On the whole I thought (from a coaches perspective) a decent enough game.

BUT.

* two knock-ons that weren't. They didn't look KOs 13,000 miles away let alone with a To3 mere metres away
* No YC for killing the ball on the tryline under huge pressure followed by a (correct) YC for killing the ball 20 metres out under pressure.
* Not even a chat about pulling shirts. marginal YC so not overluy concerned there, but that was worth a chat.
* only 1 feed in the entire game? You must be joking...

These weren't ALL critical ... but they were game affecting.

I am sure the kiwis have some bloopers the other way to add to this list of poor decisions.

didds

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
unfortunately I have to wait to watch it later tonight.

So you don't actually know whether the comments about his performance are justified, or whether it's just the England fans whingeing?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Or.....
Bad he only pulled one scrum as not straight ..........
& for those who think like that, there is another code to join.

Mike Cron doesn't need to campaign to change the feed to +2 ball widths, NO is already sanctioning 2.5 - 3 !

I was actually meaning there was a recognition that the law does require it to be thrown in down the middle.

iansimcox

Post Likes
I wonder how good of a game he would have had if england had won?

I actually thought he had a pretty good game, other than the inconsistency on the YCs. Called most things right. Personally didn't agree with his knock-on calls but he was at least consistent (it seemed like RL knock-on rules).

But how Nonu and A.N.Other All Black didn't see yellow while Yarde did is a mystery. It was as though he got YC'd on a totting up that included NZ pens. And in a tight game, it's nearly always the side that gets the rub of the green that comes out on top.

If you want to throw 'I wonder if' around, I wonder if NZers would have been happy with Owens if they'd lost after he carded Nonu and other and decided Yarde's wasn't yellow.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Where is Ian C when some bullets are being fired around??

England dominant scrum?- yes in 1 scrum that I recall

Chat with Nonu? Yes, NO spoke to him as they returned to the restart

YC to AB when under pressure? - He spoke to Feketoa and explained why he had penalised him and also made some comment about how he understood Feketoa thought he was legimate in what he was doing. So in this case NO made a call that it wasn't cyncial

Not straight feeds? - Yes both sides equally I would suggest

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't think NO was as bad as some suggest but I am sticking with some of my previous comments and retracting another.

* 1st KO against May was fair enough = no change
* 2nd KO (I think at 49 mins???) was not a KO = no change
* Feketoa should have seen yellow = confirming first impression
* Yarde YC correct. I originally thought that he may have stripped possession PRIOR to players going to ground but now concede that was not the case = change of opinion

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I was actually meaning there was a recognition that the law does require it to be thrown in down the middle.

No worries matey, were kinda on the same hymn sheet. Such single recognition is pointless if he and his Elite buddies ignore all the other feeds, it gives ammunition for all those who shout 'inconsistency'

I'm suspecting that FK avoidance is the elite aim, or maybe he subscribes to the Cron'ic illness of gteed possession on own feed.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Chat with Nonu? Yes, NO spoke to him as they returned to the restart

Yes, nonu, I know it was deliberate and it stopped Haskell from being in a position to possibly take a scoring pass, and I know you had a desperate protracted shirt tug and but I didn't want to make such a decision so early, and you're an experienced nzab so it must've been not cynical , I accept the pleading eyes you've displayed, next time I will consider it cynical , for now I'm considering you had no idea of the field position ......

Thanks Nige, Im often unaware of what I'm doing