Nightmare

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Yesterday I had a terrible game. Not up with play. Poor control of the game. Totally out of it.

This morning I wake up to the flu good a proper. Had a sore throat yesterday and felt a bit off. But did not feel bad enough to pull out. On reflection I feel I should have done so.

What do others do when not feeling "right"?

Not looking for sympathy (we will all have one of those games and we recover from it). Just wondering how bad do you all need to feel before you say "Sorry I can't do it".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Did anyone get seriously hurt by your errors?

no?

then its not an issue :)

I guess all you could do is reflect on how you felt when you woke up yesterday, and make a note to self that if that occurs again you should consider withdrawing.

Hope you feel better soon Pegleg.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reffed a game with a hangover once ... or maybe it was twice :(

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bad enough for my wife to tell me not to go!

Thinking about systematically, though, I usually ask myself the following questions:
Will the game be dangerous if I referee?
Am I likely to spoil the game?
Will I make myself more ill?
Am I being assessed ;)?

If I can't honestly answer 'no' to all these questions (except perhaps the last one) I wouldn't go.

Hope you get over the flu soon.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Depends on what you mean by "not right".

if I'm under a lot of stress, then I do get the "I could see this far enough" feeling. I still turn up and do my thing, albeit with less of a smile.

Physically "not right" is more interesting. I'm Type 1 Diabetic, and blood sugar affects how I feel both mentally and physically. I've had two games where looking back I shouldn't have done it. One was down at Havant in 2001; think it was Hav IIs or IIIs. Didn't feel great the whole game, couldn't work out why. Taking insulin for the blood sugar, hydrating... "It's just a phase".
No issues with the game, and folks seemed happy, which could be a miracle at Hav. Next morning admitted to ICU with hyperglycemia. The "I'll power through this..." idea can be overdone. Sometimes it's not about your effect on the game, it's about the effect of the game on you.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Thanks Guys. Feeling better about the game. Not about the flu though. Spoke to the away coach today ( he rang to apologise about his physio). Offered me a copy of the video. In fairness it is not as bad as I originally felt. A weekend off and a few days to recharge and recover ready for the next one.

Thanks again.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As someone who has the great privilege to help with appointments, a ref dropping out with "illness" causes a major headache, but we all know it happens. That said, we also have a duty to the teams to give them a fair game and so I might consider dropping down a level or 2 if I was feeling rough?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As someone who has the great privilege to help with appointments, a ref dropping out with "illness" causes a major headache, but we all know it happens. That said, we also have a duty to the teams to give them a fair game and so I might consider dropping down a level or 2 if I was feeling rough?

I, and I think most, understand that and have sympathy with the appointments guy and the teams. Dropping down a level was not an option on this occasion. Had it been I would probably have tried that. The appointment was on the upper limit of my ability (on a day when fully fit healthy and focused).

I have a five hour bus trip today with one of the players from the game. It will be interesting to chat to him.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

We don't have enough referees to have this kind of flexibility in the system

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We don't have enough referees to have this kind of flexibility in the system

Nor do we, which is why dropping down a level or 2 is an option, bump a couple up and take a lower level game.#

This has just happened to us, ref cried off with "man flu", no spares until I get a call from our ex international, "what you got for me mate, somewhere local, nothing too taxing!" So he's doing a L10 local derby. Top bloke! :clap:

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Nor do we, which is why dropping down a level or 2 is an option, bump a couple up and take a lower level game.#

This has just happened to us, ref cried off with "man flu", no spares until I get a call from our ex international, "what you got for me mate, somewhere local, nothing too taxing!" So he's doing a L10 local derby. Top bloke! :clap:

Not too taxing, a L10 derby? Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen to me!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Back on the horse today. Youth cup game 19-20 with the home side missing the conversion with the final kick of the game.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not too taxing, a L10 derby? Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen to me!
Everything is relative. I guess:

a) when you've done South Africa v New Zealand, L.10 derby is well within your range even at Spreaders's advanced age.
b) when you've done South Africa v New Zealand, even the L.10 #9 might rein in his criticism a bit.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yeah, not many question any of his calls :biggrin: