"No levering on an opponent"

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apologies if I'm just missing this while scanning the laws - but where does it state you can't lean on an opponent in a lineout? I can see a pretty picture in the laws (just after 18.29, and an illustration of the secondary signal for leaning on a player in the lineout - but I can't see it stated in the wording of the laws. Is it there or is it just a very specific extension of the foul play law against holding/obstructing?
9.15 Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It is also not elsewhere stated precisely that you cannot "hold or shove" or "charge" (is 'illegally' really required?). However the images are as much part of Law as the text, they are just not numbered. Under simplification, why repeat the same words?

As is often the case, just go with it. If you meet a pedant, then use 9.15.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apologies if I'm just missing this while scanning the laws - but where does it state you can't lean on an opponent in a lineout? I can see a pretty picture in the laws (just after 18.29, and an illustration of the secondary signal for leaning on a player in the lineout - but I can't see it stated in the wording of the laws. Is it there or is it just a very specific extension of the foul play law against holding/obstructing?
9.15 Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.
In the app there is wording underneath the picture

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the app there is wording underneath the picture
I saw that, but nothing in the main body on the lines of "Don't do this. Sanction. Penalty" - but @chbg helped put that to rest and confirmed to use 9:15 if I meet a pedant. (Or more likely *when* I meet a pedant...)