Noddy's (Fluid) Appts

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Okay, appointments are all over the place at the moment, cancellations, exchanges etc etc. Potentially all my forseeable appointments are outside of my society area. I really must learn how to drive!

Here's my list as it stands (different to previously posted):

Saturday 26th January
Millbrook 1 v Nomads 1
L10 - League
Hampshire Exchange + Assessor (ST)

Sunday 3rd February
Saltash U16 v Redruth U16
U16
DID NOT REFEREE

Saturday 9th February
Stithians 1 v St Just 1
L9 - League
Cornwall Exchange +Assessor
DID NOT REFEREE

Saturday 16th February
Salcombe 1 v N Tawton 1
L10 - League
Federation Appt +Assessor

Wednesday 20th February
University of Plymouth 1 v Cardiff Medics 2
BUSA Tier 2B - L7/8

Saturday 1st March
Camborne SOM 1 v Redruth Albany 1
L10 - League
Federation Appt +Assessor

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If it rains heavily, the Millbrook pitch used to get VERY boggy. Be warned

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Looks like some potentially tasty matchups there, some good Cornish local derbies.

I played against Saltash RFC for my University on a Saturday. We won by a lot, and got the crap kicked out of us at every breakdown by a bunch of gnarly old buggers, but they bought us lots of beers in the clubhouse afterwards which made it all OK.

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought Noddy was giving us his drinking schedule for the next few weeks when I read the thread title.... :rolleyes:

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
:D Well, let's be honest, drinking and rugby do go hand in hand!

Nick, I don't think the university team could beat a team of grannies this season... :(

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just seen where Cambourne is compared to Redruth... :Nerv:

Hey! What am I worried about. As Chris White always says to himself in 'interesting' situations, "I'm from Gloucestershire... I can cope with anything rugby can throw at me..." :wink:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I thought Noddy was giving us his drinking schedule for the next few weeks when I read the thread title.... :rolleyes:

Me too. However, this view may be biased by the fact that a just had a Burn's night formal where I got roped into doing the Toast to the Lassies. Well received, but a bloody mess from then on in...

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
One for Simon Thomas maybe.

Noddy is an up and coming "going places" young ref with a 10+2 grading and is doing Fed appointments at Level 10 (Good on ya Noddy)

I'm a never was and never will be old man with a level 11 grading and do the odd L10 game, like this weekend, for dev/stretch purposes or, more likely, when no one else wants the two hour drive to the borders of Kent.

Would I be right in concluding therefore that a Coastal Command L10 is someway below a West Country L10 and therefore not all L10's are equal? I think AlanT was musing on this some while ago but I can't find the thread...

This would imply that if I wandered out of county at some point to do a L10 game I would potentially be well out of my depth because you get a better class of L10 in other Societies?

Baffled of Sussex

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Generally a L10 will be reasonably equitable both across counties and regions, but does vary more than say levels 6 and 7 (the standard of play, fitness, skill, etc is so varied between the sides on way up, the faded glories clubs on the eway down and the social community clubs who are very happy where they are). Knowing Sussex, Hampshire and Cornwall level 10s (my wife's cousins / nephews play for a level 10 vets in Cornwall) I would say they are about same standard.

However as with all levels, it depends on the clubs' league position, who is actually playing (an ex level 6 scrum or fly half or #8 could transform a level 10 team's performance by giving tactical structure etc), etc.

We will see about Noddy, once we have churned him through the Hampshire system this weekend !

As the match at Camborne School of Mines - my daughter was there for 3 years 2001-04 and still goes to Annual Bottle Match (v London School of Mine [Imperial College]) which is 'like' Varsity, Army Navy in intensity (but not skill of course). Camborne SOM (part of University of Exeter in Cornwall) moved to a new Penryn/Falmouth campus in 2003 and are a good bunch of lads - mostly public school / farming types and play for fun (and on the beer afterwards).

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
All the pressure's on now... with the esteemed ST heading to Millbrook to undertake the assessor's duties... :Nerv:

Now, the excuses (always best before the incident...): I haven't refereed for three months... :eek:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was running touch there once. Referee managed to get himself locked in the crapper before kick off. Try to avoid that!

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Almost did that at Devonport Services back in October... :eek: In the end I just kicked the door open and never mentioned it...

Doubt you'll have heard of it across the pond, but a guy got locked in a bowls club toilets for the best part of a week before Christmas. :wow: :D

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
SG will be far more interesting than a balletic level 6 prima donna !

I hope his boots are clean and he has white laces.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You are Roger P in disguise and I claim my $5 sterling.

Noddy - pressed, starched shorts too!!

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Arrgh!

Oops!

Etc.

It seems I've been appointed to a match this Wednesday (Plymouth Uni 1s) but no-one informed me. Fine, usually, but I'm supposed to be taking part in BUISC (British Universities Indoor Ski Championships).

Clash! How to de-conflict?

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Decision made. Primarily because I don't really want to spend the best part of a day in a mini-bus or a coach travelling to Milton Keynes and back.

So, an extra appointment:

Wednesday 20th February
University of Plymouth 1 v Cardiff Medics 2
BUSA Tier 2B - L7/8

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That match will test your current fitness levels !

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
They've improved over the last few weeks. Been out running a few evenings a week - includes a fairly steep uphill bit for some power, which seems to be helping me get a bit of speed back, I'll probably throw in some walk/jog/sprint stuff* now the endurance is coming back. Still not where I was/would like to be, but getting back there!

*On that front ST, what are the JAM test levels that are standard targets? I last did one about four years ago! We did it in pairs and I get to say that I did it with an England international, and beat him (although he was playing a number of years back...)