Not 5 - incredibly

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Level 9 game this weekend. Black have a throw in. The lad throwing in throws but somehow the ball slips over the top of his hand, loops up in the air and drops to the ground 3-4 m from the touchline i.e it's not gone 5m. After we'd all stopped laughing I had to make a decision. I awarded green a scrum 15m in. Comments please.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did you offer a choice? The non-throwing team has the option of a line-out, their throw.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Strictly speaking it's a LO / scrum option.

However, depending on the level / nature of the game, I could be tempted to get him to throw it again. Eg if it's a Old Boys friendly, you could come across as a bit of a dick if you stick to the laws too rigidly. Now, if it was Wales v New Zealand in the 2019 RWC Final, that changes things and I would give the option. See my point?

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Strictly speaking it's a LO / scrum option.

However, depending on the level / nature of the game, I could be tempted to get him to throw it again. Eg if it's a Old Boys friendly, you could come across as a bit of a dick if you stick to the laws too rigidly. Now, if it was Wales v New Zealand in the 2019 RWC Final, that changes things and I would give the option. See my point?
Bit ludicrous to give an example which will never happen... Wales in the 2019 RWC final... smh.