[Tackle] Not really a tackle but a slide..

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Not a tackle. What's everyone's opinion on the incident involving Benhard Janse van Rensburg. I'll try get a video of it but t he description is...

Chasing a kick in wet conditions. Ball has bounced once, he slides at a fast pace from about 5-10m away gathers the ball and slides with his knees into another player who was attempting to gather the ball.

I think its dangerous as he's slid in uncontrollably with his knees.

What do you guys think.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Sympathies with both players.

PK, dangerous play, finger wag to be careful going forward.

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
[FONT=&quot]Seems like charging/knocking down a player without attempting to grasp them. YC seems harsh, but maybe there was context... I guess feet first, same result would have been a RC.[/FONT]

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
As the commentator said, ‘he knew what he was doing’. Reckless with no thought of player coming forward. YC okay for me.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
With the way the player landed, head / neck impact I can see why yellow was shown, it's a gamble unfortunately. There was one in the premiership the other week where one from each team slid in to gather a loose ball and collided bent knees to bent knees at some pace, all were ok and played on but could have been nasty

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Seems like charging/knocking down a player without attempting to grasp them. YC seems harsh, but maybe there was context... I guess feet first, same result would have been a RC.

I see what you're saying and I do agree. The arguments being made are that he's went to ground to get the ball. Which he has when he clatters into the other player. So the grasp isn't really required, as he's in possession of the ball and therefore technically is a ball carrier.

Where I think the recklessness AND danger element comes from is the speed of the slide. He's running at pace and slides a good 5-6m min, before gathering the ball. Then another (almost) 5ms after the collision. The point of contact is his knees, so this is another element of danger.

Like Didds said, I do sympathise for player sliding in, I don't think his intention was to injure. But As we've all discussed, intentions are irrelevant. What he did was reckless at least and I reckon dangerous too. PK def. I'd probably have given the YC too.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thats just a collision in open play. I'm not saying I wouldn't award a penalty but if you did, under what law would you do so.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Actually, Ive just watched it again and I dont even think it's a penalty.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I get the outcome is dangerous - but the retreating player is entitled to go to ground to get the ball, and also entitled to slide. I don't see him as having committed an infringement, nor do I see anything reckless there... so for me I'm restarting with a scrum orange.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you were to do a no wrap chop ‘tackle’ on a player without the ball, that caused him to flip over and land on the ground on his neck would you not sanction the player then? Only real difference here is the impact was legs not arms, at least that’s how I see it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
For me that is reckless and should be :noyc:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Sure ... but if you were to push a player in the face that would also be wrong, until you had the ball - at which point it becomes a hand-off.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sure ... but if you were to push a player in the face that would also be wrong, until you had the ball - at which point it becomes a hand-off.

Unless with excessive force / dangerous, in which case it’s sanctionable. Anything that puts another player at risk is sanctionable, even if the act would normally be ‘ok’, in the same way that sometimes players are injured in a legal challenge - this one I think is reckless, and predictably so

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I get the outcome is dangerous - but the retreating player is entitled to go to ground to get the ball, and also entitled to slide. I don't see him as having committed an infringement, nor do I see anything reckless there... so for me I'm restarting with a scrum orange.

I thought he went in knees first

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If you were to do a no wrap chop ‘tackle’ on a player without the ball, that caused him to flip over and land on the ground on his neck would you not sanction the player then? Only real difference here is the impact was legs not arms, at least that’s how I see it.

except one is a tackle on the ball carrier and the other is the ball carrier on a defnder - a hand off is a better comparison.

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Like I said in my OP. I reckon it's reckless and dangerous. I felt he went in knees first too, that's the dangerous part. The reckless part was the speed of sliding in. He's clearly went in with a "I'm getting ball or taking him out." attitude. That's the YC for me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As we cant read his mind I'd question the " or taking him out" suggestion. sometimes shit happens. That doesnt not make it dangeropus of course - and while allegedly refs shouldnt take intention into consideratoion, as oft debated the laws manifestly do expect that to occur in SOME cirtcumstances etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thats just a collision in open play. I'm not saying I wouldn't award a penalty but if you did, under what law would you do so.

9.11 for me. It is reckless, at best.