*Not* Respecting the kicker

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not my game, but comes from a match report within my union.

Visiting side scores a try at the death to level the score. First conversion attempt, an opposing player yells during the charge. Referee calls a re-kick, no charge down allowed.

During the second attempt, a home supporter shouts while the kicker was mid-swing.

Referee let the kick stand, which I think is correct following the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not much you can do if a spectator calls out. How is the ref to know with any accuracy which side the spectator supported?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Was it a successful kick on second attempt?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Was it a successful kick on second attempt?
No, the match ended in a draw.

not much you can do if a spectator calls out. How is the ref to know with any accuracy which side the spectator supported?
Immediately afterwards, the home side’s coach told the spectator to knock it off, and a visiting assistant coach tried to chase down said spectator.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The world is filled with arseholes, you never know when you'll meet them, you never know what to do about them, and you never know when if you'll become one.
They seem to collect at sporting events in Merica

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree nothing the ref can do on the day. However, I suggest reporting it, a possible Code of Conduct.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Potential flash points. Deal with as you see fit. Of course the ref could think it came from the players and allow a retake. Then we have an issue.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Potential flash points. Deal wit has you see fit. Of course the ref could think it came from the players and allow a retake. Then we have an issue.
I suppose it's a cultural difference. In Australia it's normal for spectators at all levels to shout at the opposition kicker and try to put them off

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is similar amongs some here. For me it is a matter of the games ethos.