not sure this is the best advertisement for rugby

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the 7s format amplifies the farce, but unless it is illegal under the laws gamesmanship like this will continue.

But even in 15s, how many examples do we see each match? A kicker taking almost the full 90 seconds to get the ball setup just right on the tee for a conversion directly in front of the posts, or the SH "struggling" to get the ball out of the ruck and then very gingerly rolling the ball back along the (inevitable) caterpillar and then taking time to marshal the troops before taking 4.5s after being told to use it, or a team slowly jogging back to the center for a restart, etc., etc... ?

Watching Squidge break down the Red Roses' almost flawless W6N performance, at one point he highlights a sin bin against France (So can anyone stop the Red Roses? | Women's Six Nations 2022 - about 17m in). Despite France chomping at the bit to go fast at every chance, England managed the game ruthlessly by taking a little extra time everywhere they could and limited the ball-in-play to just 160 seconds across 10 minutes. And this management is seen as a strength of the team. (And it was still a great match to watch! Roll on October...)

If this specific example spurs WR to call out specific scenarios as time wasting or against the spirit of good sportsmanship and issue targeted law changes or clarifications, I can only hope that they take their time and think things through - rather than rush out a quick fix and leave us to deal with ambiguities in the language and their unintended consequences.
WR did address time wasting at kicks -- they decided that 60s / 90s was reasonable. . As a ref we can't then say 'no I will enforce 45s'

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The underlined bit is a crucial difference which, for me, destroys your argument.
Ok, team gets penalty with 90 seconds left trailing by 6 and take shot at goal to let time run out as a bonus point is all they need to qualify.

I have no issues with any of it

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok, team gets penalty with 90 seconds left trailing by 6 and take shot at goal to let time run out as a bonus point is all they need to qualify.
they would be foolish as they only have 60s ! So we'[d restart with a scrum to the oppo. oops

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

yup, really.

8.22 The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed and a scrum is awarded.

A penalty attempt at goal not taken within the time limit.In the scrum zone at the point closest to where the penalty was awarded.The non-offending team.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
yup, really.

8.22 The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed and a scrum is awarded.

A penalty attempt at goal not taken within the time limit.In the scrum zone at the point closest to where the penalty was awarded.The non-offending team.
I see now that you are referring to a post relating to a penalty kick at goal....I thought you were referring to a conversion as per the original scenario. Apologies and thanks for clarifying.