NRC Law Amendments.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Anyone in Australia know what the options are that have been given to the public to vote on.

http://nrc2014phase3.meltwaterrise.com/

Unfortunately it can't be seen by those outside Aus due to regional constraints.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Select from as many options below -: *
1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
2. Reduced time limits for conversions and penalty kick attempts
3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty
4. Time limit for both teams to form a scrum
5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed.
6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum
7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins
8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack
9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered
10. A ‘mark’ can be awarded any place on the field
11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout
12. Free Kick for kick-off infringements as per Sevens

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty
5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed.
6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum
7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins
8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack
9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered
11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout

I like the basic idea here, but I would have reduced the points value of a successful PK to 2 points, awarded the scrum only after a successful kick, and given the throw in to the kicking team. Reduces the impact of a PK while preventing a "cheat's charter"

Worth a try, provided that 3 above was implemented when that happens. (I suspect that this is a delayed reaction to a certain RWC match from 2011 :biggrin:)

100% agree with this. The scrum itself is the contest for the ball. Once it is won, why should the SH now have to contest again for his team's already won ball. However, "mid-line" would have to be clearly defined in the case of a scrum screwing. Perhaps "behind the shoulder of his team's hindmost prop" might be a better defining line.

No, I don't agree with this at all.

Agreed, provided that they do not drive out players who are not in the ruck, i.e. driving through the ruck and taking out a defender who is not in physical contact with the ruck or other players in it, should still be illegal.

Yes, 100% agree with this. Encourage teams to contest every line-out.

Disagree as this goes too far. Own half or inside own 10m line would have been sufficient.

I agree, but the team should also be allowed to kick at goal and if successful, get a scrum feed at the place of the kick. This will discourage teams from giving a way a PK when leading by a small margin.

Yes, provided a scrum option was also available, or a QTi in the case of a kick-off/restart going straight or short into touch.

The rest (1, 2 and 4), well..... Meh!

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I like 5, 6, 9, 10 (although own half would be better) and 11

Don't like 3, as it just encourages more shots at goal, plus a great way to waste a minute or so late in the game

A couple of these were on the list I submitted. Shame they didn't take my "ban place kicks" one

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Not a fan of 1 and 2.
3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty. Interesting but I'd want a try to be 6 as an added incentive for not going for goal.

4. Time limit for both teams to form a scrum. No argument here. A genuine pain in the arse that eats clock, allows posturing and gamesmanship

5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed. Not sure. I'd be quite happy if we just stayed strict on 'square and steady' and straight feed. If the teams don't cheat there are way less scrum peno's.

6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum. No thanks. Contest for possession doesn't stop just because you won the strike. Poor control from 8 and the opposition could be away under the posts. Strict application of behind the ball is fine for me.

7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins. I like the idea and would be great TV but it is unsporting and could be very messy.

8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack. No thank you.

9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered. Yes, yes and yes

10. A ‘mark’ can be awarded any place on the field. No. While to much kicking is disagreeable, less players in the backfield to catch the kicks means a more congested defensive line. Players need to open their eyes and play heads up.

11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout. No issue with this one.

12. Free Kick for kick-off infringements as per Sevens. 100%.

RuggerFan

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Select from as many options below -: * 1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
This would be the same system as the one they use in the Top14
Works for me. Too much time is wasted.
Yeah, because MORE scrums is exactly what rugby needs. NO THANKS!
Works for me.
Works for me.
What's the point of this law change?
Works for me.
It would get too messy IMO and it would make things harder to ref.
Works for me.
No way. This would practically eliminate box kicks.
Soon enough we'll have infinite games
Works for me. What I would like to see is to not allow penalties outside the 22 to be kicked for a goal.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Originally Posted by Drift

No bonus point for the losing side, not wrong per se but different

Fine

Not sure about this. It is very different. I would want to see this trialled.

Yes, but make sure you give the free kick to the correct side and it cannot be taken as a scrum.
You have to allow time off for injuries.
We already have 10.2(b) time wasting, apply it.

I.e. All scrum offences are free kicks.
Including dangerous play - pulling down etc - and offside.
Why should these not incur a full penalty when equivalent play at any other phase would.

The important thing is that referees must get this right. And seems to be admitting they currently don't.

This means penalising the bind on the arm not the player pulled down by their opponent. Correct binds and a straight feed tend to lead to proper scrums without penalty.

Also referees must only give penalties for offences actually in the law. No penalties for "not taking the hit" or whatever this seasons imagined offence is.

Sounds like U17 rules. Are you also going to reduce the shove to 1.5m as well?

Not sure about this. It seems to mean a player who has not offended at all could be binned which feels wrong.
Maybe give the captain the choice from the players who have offended.

Why.
keep everyone on their feet and on side and go from there.
Sealing off by both sides, needs to be policed

What exactly is meant by contest?
The non throwing side are allowed to choose how they want to defend, this takes an option away from them.
Why?

Why?
You have just been given the ball, do something with it.

Why?
Time has to be up sometime.

But there will only be restarts after tries if 3 is adopted.
So it is probably moot.

If scrums are managed correctly why not have a scrum.
Or is this another admission elite refs cannot manage scrums?

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
1. don't care
2. Strongly agree - provided it's enforced on TV rugby - perhaps a stadium countdown clock - with the crowd adding their voice, actually I like this one more and more:biggrin:
3. Strongly disagree, if successful kick, then its a double penalty
4. Agree, but as per 2.
5. Agree
6. I think that's the U-13's rule over here. Disagree.
7. Disagree. More timewasting while they thnik about it, current sod's law is fine.
8. Strongly disagree, where will they stop? May as well call it American football and run interference.
9. Disagree, he'll end up throwing it straight to the scrum half.
10. Oh good, another reason to stop play. Strongly Disagree.
11. Disagree.
12. Probably wouldn't mind, if I could remember the difference!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For those interested in the law variations being trialled in Oz NRC

http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/LawVariation.aspx

What I found the most bizarre variation to get public support was the play on for 'not straight' lineout throw when non throw team doesn't contest?
Probably the most frequent call I hear from the sideline muppet gallery is "AAWWW NOT STRAIGHT!", even on the straightest of throws. You can bet 90% a of NRC spectators will not know about these vars and there will be howls about this!

Last edited:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

Yup, works well in France, why not. Gives a team incentive to keep scoring tries and at the business end of a season bonus points often come into play in league positions.

haven't we recently set clear limits, is that not working well?

If we agree that scrums are a mess in the elite game, why bring in more scrums? I'd be happy with the defending team having a free kick, which would be a more suitable transfer of possession for a failed kick.

How much? In principle not against it

Too complicated and don't see the reasoning, a no from me.

Again, more needless complications. I'm happy with the status quo of the ball being the opposing scrum half's offside line

No, no and no. Keep as is.

I have to say I'd like to get a check on what is intended with this sentence. Does it mean opponents not physically in the ruck, but in a pillar position for example, are now fair game?

Don't like it, keep as is. The choice not to contest the ball in the air is only taken when the opposition choose to contest the immediate drive. Either way, a lineout should remain a fair contest for the ball.

No, keep as is. Last gap defensive option, let's keep open play as open as possible please, fewer set pieces!

To squeeze in a few extra viewing moments? Without wishing to sound like a NIMBY, no I don't see the point in this

Yup sounds good to me

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

If we agree that scrums are a mess in the elite game, why bring in more scrums? I'd be happy with the defending team having a free kick, which would be a more suitable transfer of possession for a failed kick.
The problem to be solved is that teams are prepared to risk giving away three points from a PK if it will save 5 or 7 from a try. After a PK they get the kick and thus relieve the attacking pressure.

This change puts them back under pressure immediately. The experiment should test if it actually reduces the number of goal-line PKs.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
My issue with the PK variation as worded is:
It implies that any unsuccessful PK is a scrum back - even if it lands in the field of play. When "play on" has to be a better choice.
Also Put In is to team who didn't kick. Think it should be the kicking team (give up potential points AND not gain possession) - especially if you are reducing the points for a PK, and increasing a converted try.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My issue with the PK variation as worded is:
It implies that any unsuccessful PK is a scrum back - even if it lands in the field of play. When "play on" has to be a better choice.
Agreed.
Also Put In is to team who didn't kick. Think it should be the kicking team (give up potential points AND not gain possession) - especially if you are reducing the points for a PK, and increasing a converted try.
I missed that - my original proposal was indeed that the feed should go to the non-offending team.