O shut up!

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Communication is key for referees. But do they need to constantly remind players not to break the laws - like Luke Pearce in the Italy v Scotland game?
"Scotland / Italy stop!" - when the half-back kicks ahead of the forwards and they keep moving forward.
"Use it!"- to the scrum half, especially when a caterpillar is formed.
We don't shout " Remember to pass backwards"
OK to set out your stall at the start of the match, but then 'ping' - that will stop the behaviour.
#backinmyday

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Calling "use it" is in the laws, which also gives them an interminable five seconds after you call.
However, the scrum-half is generally in front of the hindmost foot and therefore offside anyway.
I quite like referees who make it clear to the players what they are seeing, so the players know what is expected of them.
But I tend to agree they should not need to tell the players to abide by the laws.
My real bugbear is repeating the pre-match brief to the front row mid-game.
If they did not listen the first time, then they deserve to be penalized.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Totally agree about the endless calls of "stop" that have crept in recently

To me the referees shouting this after every kick is becoming white noise.. if you are shouting ALL the time, players will pay less attention not more.

having said that, I am a victim of fashion and sometimes shout stop myself ! :)

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It certainly can be overused. I do find that a quick, short call can be useful to stop an accidental infringement and allows the game to keep flowing but, as per @crossref - shout all the time and you lose impact.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Id imagine a PK or two would cut it out immediately.