OA & meniscus tear outlook

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just wanting to hear from guys who have had similar conditions/injuries and how they "managed" their conditions to maybe continue refereeing.

I battled through the 2014 season with suspected, but at that stage undiagnosed, Osteoarthritis. Having had a forced 5 week break leading up to the semi-finals, I was appointed to a major-semi which went well generally but with about 9 minutes to go, the left knee started hurting but got through it.

Have since had an MRI which confirmed, among some minor strains to MCL and the other tendon that goes over the patella, a complex tear of the medial meniscus and moderate OA.

After visits to the doc and physio, it would seem that the biggest problem with a view to continuing to referee is not the tear (can have the arthroscope) but the osteoarthritis.

Currently embarking on a program with the physio with a view to get one more/last season (with a reduced number of appointments to get through) with the whistle.

Interested to hear others experiences who have had similar.

Still have a couple of goals to tick off the refereeing list.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I had the tear (ops on both knees 3 years apart) that was, as has been intimated to you, not a problem to come back from. I did not have the OA to complicate matters. So I can't help on that front.

I'd say take it slowly and listen to the experts back off if there is any reaction and give your body time to heal.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just wanting to hear from guys who have had similar conditions/injuries and how they "managed" their conditions to maybe continue refereeing.

I battled through the 2014 season with suspected, but at that stage undiagnosed, Osteoarthritis. Having had a forced 5 week break leading up to the semi-finals, I was appointed to a major-semi which went well generally but with about 9 minutes to go, the left knee started hurting but got through it.

Have since had an MRI which confirmed, among some minor strains to MCL and the other tendon that goes over the patella, a complex tear of the medial meniscus and moderate OA.

After visits to the doc and physio, it would seem that the biggest problem with a view to continuing to referee is not the tear (can have the arthroscope) but the osteoarthritis.

Currently embarking on a program with the physio with a view to get one more/last season (with a reduced number of appointments to get through) with the whistle.

Interested to hear others experiences who have had similar.

Still have a couple of goals to tick off the refereeing list.

Its called the retro patella tendon. I'm doing ok. The human body has redundancies listen to the physio and build everything around it

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry to hear that Fat.

Can't help with your injury - as mine are all associated with my SI!

How a old are you? I thought you were too young for OA? Is it a repercussion of your sporting days?

Good luck with ticking off the referee bucket list.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Sorry to hear that Fat.

Can't help with your injury - as mine are all associated with my SI!

How a old are you? I thought you were too young for OA? Is it a repercussion of your sporting days?

Good luck with ticking off the referee bucket list.

Cheers mate,
Wrong side of 50 unfortunately. Took up the whistle very late, should have done it as soon as playing days were over but work was the main priority back then. Getting out of a trade and into a design office in mid 90s is coming back to bite me on the arse now. Too many coffees and biscuits coupled with no footy and reduced general exercise put an extra 25-30kg of pressure on the knees by the time I started with the whistle. Managed to get rid of some of that thanks to Toby Warren's challenge a few seasons ago so still need to shed probably 15kg on the bike and in the pool over the next 4 months to take the training stress off the knees to give me a chance to go round one more time next year. F#%* I love me beer and tucker.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah office jobs can do that to you - as can a love of food and bubbly drinks!

So 'The Fat' nickname was a real description name, not the 'opposite' which is synonymous with Aussie nick names! :biggrin::pepper:
You see, I'm not really a menace....until I get on here to wind up some of the poms. :shrug: :biggrin: (which doesn't take much, so isn't a real challenge)

Well I hope your plan comes together and you get another few referee seasons out of your knees!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As per DM, work really hard to build the surrounding and controlling muscle - quads/hams/glutes - and these will offload the pressure through your knee.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
- lose body weight
- reduce systemic inflammation
- yoga
- there are more than one study showing that meniscus tear surgery is just another non beneficial surgery. one such study:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305189

In this trial involving patients without knee osteoarthritis but with symptoms of a degenerative medial meniscus tear, the outcomes after arthroscopic partial meniscectomy were no better than those after a sham surgical procedure. (Funded by the Sigrid Juselius Foundation and others; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00549172.)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/818399

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I would echo what Jamo says. Lose the weight. The Messier study confirmed this. I can also tell you from personal experience that I was really experiencing similar issues. 60 pounds less later and I have no issues at all.

Messier's study concluded that for every 1 lb. of weight loss that occurred, there was a resulting 4-lb. reduction in knee joint load or knee pressure. Furthermore, it was suggested that individuals who lost 10 lbs. would be subject to a total of 48,000 less pounds of pressure for every mile walked

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks for all replies so far gents.
The weight loss is a no-brainer. Physio is concentrating on those surrounding muscles as most of you have highlighted.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks for all replies so far gents.
The weight loss is a no-brainer. Physio is concentrating on those surrounding muscles as most of you have highlighted.

Excellent...lets crack open another beer and celebrate that you've found the cause and know the solution!:bday: