Obstruction - Article in SAReferees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
This forum should be about educating referees how to interpret the Laws to let a game take place, not a legalese pissing contest to show how we can impart clever spins to the wording of the Law to show off how smart we are.

In that case, please stop engaging in legalistic pissing contests to show how smart you (think you) are. As a moderator, please be seen to avoid them rather than to add fuel to the fire.

As a ... victim ... of your debating style, I too can call it when I see it, and your previous post was bullying and unsportsmanlike (both of which I doubt you are with people you know personally).

Stop being proud of your "ability" to call a spade a spade, because it makes you look like a dick.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian:

Would you agree with this:

I would in general, for midfield support with players on both sides close to the ball (probably 99% of the scenarios). However, would I still apply it in a line-break and sprint situation when defending players are sprinting to catch up, with no defenders directly ahead of the ball carrier? Definitely not!

All of the offloads you showed in your videos were cases where the ball carrier was nowhere near full speed and in midfield with defenders all around. None of them were in this line-break & sprint situation with a ball carrier running flat out. If the support runner is also running flat out, and is running behind, he has no capacity for further acceleration.

I maintain that Thomstone ran a valid support line, and one that I would coach any player to emulate in that situation; supporting a sprinting ball carrier over a distance.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In that case, please stop engaging in legalistic pissing contests to show how smart you (think you) are. As a moderator, please be seen to avoid them rather than to add fuel to the fire.

So, I should just let those posts go unchallenged if I disagree? Sorry, I won't do that!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So, I should just let those posts go unchallenged if I disagree? Sorry, I won't do that!
Refereeing is an art rather than a science. That means it is frequently not possible to provide conclusive proof in support one particular view.

I think this case is a borderline one, where most of us say we would accept that running line. After 150+ posts I don't think we have advanced beyond that, nor are we likely to.

I think it is time to stop.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Refereeing is an art rather than a science. That means it is frequently not possible to provide conclusive proof in support one particular view.

I think this case is a borderline one, where most of us say we would accept that running line. After 150+ posts I don't think we have advanced beyond that, nor are we likely to.

I think it is time to stop.

Fair enough, close it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.