[Ruck] Off feet.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I know I've posted before today, I'm bored at work lol.

So, Red Ball Carrier running, White tackles, red do not engage, so we've got a TWOL situation. Am I right in saying that any supporting white players need to be supporting their own weight, just like in a ruck. I'm seeing a lot of players just diving over the tackled play in a semi controlled way. So they've got their hands and feet on the ground (hands in front of the tackled player, feet behind).

Should this be PK'd for off feet or whatever? Or is it allowed as there's no contest for the ball?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know I've posted before today, I'm bored at work lol.

So, Red Ball Carrier running, White tackles, red do not engage, so we've got a TWOL situation. Am I right in saying that any supporting white players need to be supporting their own weight, just like in a ruck. I'm seeing a lot of players just diving over the tackled play in a semi controlled way. So they've got their hands and feet on the ground (hands in front of the tackled player, feet behind).

Should this be PK'd for off feet or whatever? Or is it allowed as there's no contest for the ball?

It would appear in your scenario that it is not material....but maybe worth a word instead of waiting for it to become material and then penalising.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Technically off feet, probably not material, but definitely worth a word as opposition may be choosing not to contest as no realistic chance of winning, so actually is material - difficult to decide but one of the things I was encouraged to police once I was into my second season and wanted to advance a bit

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
My bugbear is the red players (ie ball carriers teammates) flopping over

(and don't get me started on cleanouts from the side which seem to be fine these days)

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Technically off feet, probably not material, but definitely worth a word as opposition may be choosing not to contest as no realistic chance of winning, so actually is material - difficult to decide but one of the things I was encouraged to police once I was into my second season and wanted to advance a bit

This is what I'm thinking, as the support player's in a "position of strength" illegally. Yes it's technically not material if there no-one competing, but there's no one competing as there's no point, due to the illegal activity of the support player. There's nothing immaterial if the support players form the non b/c team do it, so is it material.

Yeah may be worth a word in the ear at the 1st time, then PK it after that?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is what I'm thinking, as the support player's in a "position of strength" illegally. Yes it's technically not material if there no-one competing, but there's no one competing as there's no point, due to the illegal activity of the support player. There's nothing immaterial if the support players form the non b/c team do it, so is it material.

Yeah may be worth a word in the ear at the 1st time, then PK it after that?

If that feels appropriate, yeah will depend on how potentially material it is, feel of the game etc, but both teams need to be allowed to fairly contested

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Depends on level, and also on you. As long as you're consistent with it, no one will have (extra!) cause for complaint.

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
They need to come back and support their weight, they can't stay with their hands on the floor. If no one contests and they just watch him, invariably the ball has been won anyway. However, I would tell him to support his weight next time and if questioned by the opposition why he wasn't pinged, I would say you have to contest it to make it material.