offence in the air - again

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Wrong again. Absolutely nothing wrong. He actually says orange jumped higher so won the contest.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its absolutely bloody ridiculous that this is even a penalty. The Orange player has jumped into the Blue player, and has won a penalty for his actions. You can tell by the smirk on his face that he knew exactly what he was doing.

I think Stuart Berry does the best he can because the Law is an Ass, and so is Joel Jutge, the WR numpty who has made this a compulsory penalty. The fact that the Orange player has jumped early will only encourage other players to also jump early. Mark my words, if this continues, there is going to be a serious accident; its only a matter of time before someone is badly injured.

If we penalse on a dangerous outcome, that means every time a player is hurt in a tackle, then the tackler should be penalised because it was a dangerous outcome.

What a preposterous game Rugby Union is becoming!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What a joke.

On a brighter note, this incident may be just what was needed to highlight the stupid situation we have at the moment and may in fact be the catalyst for a review of the instruction to referees.
Can only hope

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this could be an interesting tactic:

attacking team puts bomb up into in-goal ala rugby league. Attacking winger leaps high and into defending winger in a half-arsed attempt to catch ball. Lands on head. Penalty try.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOPcFvWIYc

have a look at the incident at game time 44:45. Does the ref get it right?

"dangerous outcome - that's the law" ... apparently

Ref got it wrong. PK Blue, high tackle, tackling an opponent who is in the air.

This wasn't even a 50-50 ball - at best, it was a 20-80 ball. Even then, Orange jumps so high that unless he has prehensile feet he's never going to catch it. As Blue is catching it, Orange wraps arms around his head. Orange should have been lucky to get away with a YC, since judging by the Finn Russell and Jared Payne cases, it should have been RC.

Listening to the referee: Gold jumped higher and earlier, so won the contest in the air :wtf:

I though the guy who gets to the first ball wins the contest...

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ref got it wrong. PK Blue, high tackle, tackling an opponent who is in the air.

This wasn't even a 50-50 ball - at best, it was a 20-80 ball. Even then, Orange jumps so high that unless he has prehensile feet he's never going to catch it. As Blue is catching it, Orange wraps arms around his head. Orange should have been lucky to get away with a YC, since judging by the Finn Russell and Jared Payne cases, it should have been RC.

Listening to the referee: Gold jumped higher and earlier, so won the contest in the air :wtf:

I though the guy who gets to the first ball wins the contest...

The 'catchers rights' prevail.

In this case the Cheetahs landing was of his own 'inferior timing' making, although it looked a bonafide jump attempt rather than anything else, so I wouldn't have given a PK.

IMO SB gets this wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: