Offside at scrum for scrum half of side not putting in

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i just take that to mean that when they move away from the tunnel they have two choices. oither

stay in line with the rear feet

OR

retire to the 5m line.

it ensure s I guess it stops SHs moving to the 5m line, then advancing to the rear feet line afterwards.

Though I confess I dont see an issue about taking up the rear foot line and later moving to the 5m line. Somebody will undoubtedly point out something bleedin' obvious Sybil soon! :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So why does it say "retire permanently to a point"?
I think if you go that literal with wording you'll get yourself in a knot... especially with the word 'permanent' ..that suggests the #9 would have to be glued to a spot for the remainder of the game! Wouldn't that be nice not to hear his yapping again as you move down field and 50m past him. hmmmm

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think if you go that literal with wording you'll get yourself in a knot... especially with the word 'permanent' ..that suggests the #9 would have to be glued to a spot for the remainder of the game! Wouldn't that be nice not to hear his yapping again as you move down field and 50m past him. hmmmm
Yes that's a good point! I read "permanently" as "until the scrum is over", but I can't see why they'd say point instead of line, unless there was some specific intention of the law-makers. But either way it seems that this law is pretty shoddily written!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's the intention...clearly permanently is intended to be until scrum is over...and "point" is intended to mean "any or all points along the continuum"...but that would mean more words and the point of the rewrite was less words. With that came less detail and more confusion.