Offside from kick - place of penalty

ACUSmember

Post Likes
Watching the England ladies play Italy, and the following scenario took place.

Kick deep into blue territory is fielded by blue winger, who kicks back upfield, with most of blue team still in front of her.

Kick is caught by white player around halfway, who is immediately impeded by blue player who has been retreating so lazily she barely made it back past the white player, and who is pinged for a very obvious offside. So far, so expected.

Having initially appeared to make a mark where the offside offence took place around halfway, the referee then marches everyone back deep into blue territory to give white the penalty where the blue player had taken the kick.

Is this right? I know that you get the option if it is the other way around - e.g. if white had made a late tackle on blue as she kicked it, blue would have option of penalty where kick took place or where ball landed. But I didn't think it applied to white's benefit for an offside.

I'm presuming this is a lacuna in my knowledge of the laws, but wanted to check.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Law 10.1:

[LAWS]Sanction: The non-offending team can choose either:
Penalty at the place of infringement; or
Scrum where the offending team last played the ball.[/LAWS]

So on the face of it may have been wrong decision but maybe something else happened (eg kicker gave ref a gobfull)?

Last edited:

ACUSmember

Post Likes
Many thanks for the law reference.

I've found the footage on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/sblR9JXPIyY?t=2313

Commentators are busy gassing over any useful things you might pick up on ref mike immediately after the offence, but as they walk downfield you hear the ref say "No, a penalty. From where she kicked it" followed by a pause and then "No, she's offside" which suggests nothing else took place.

But I'm now better informed, so thank you.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
as my Spanish teacher would have said: mucho bizarro

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yeah, looks like England asked for the mark from where it was kicked (no idea whether they were expecting scrum or kick), ref half though about it, something clicked in place that there was an option but then had a brain fart over what that option was - it happens

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
All the England players were pointing upfield when the penalty was awarded and I'm guessing the AR was having a word because they were clearly stood marking the spot from which the kick was taken!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
well, at international level, it shouldn't. Not with ARs, TMOs, etc.

Apparently it does, which makes me feel better about my games ��