Offside from kicks in-goal

Deafbok

Post Likes
Hi all

This situation cropped up in post-match discussion with my club coach after watching the Sharks vs Stormers match in the Super XV earlier (as part of a greater argument around a penalty try).

As a wing, I've always stood on the tryline in preparation to chase clearance kicks by my flyhalf/fullback/whoever has the nous to take the kick, regardless of his position in the in-goal area. I've never been blown up for offside in this situation, but it's come up in the argument that one cannot be ahead of the kicker regardless of whether you're in goal or not. I've seen reference to laws 22 and 11, though can't recall the exact clauses to justify this assertion.

Have I been doing it wrong since 2006? Would hate to give away a penalty in our upcoming internationals against England and Wales Deaf in this situation!

Cheers

Mark

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have I been doing it wrong since 2006?

I'm afraid so. But well done for finding this site and getting it sorted ahead of time! Good luck in the Internationals - always nice to have members of the elite on here, in whatever capacity.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi all

This situation cropped up in post-match discussion with my club coach after watching the Sharks vs Stormers match in the Super XV earlier (as part of a greater argument around a penalty try).

As a wing, I've always stood on the tryline in preparation to chase clearance kicks by my flyhalf/fullback/whoever has the nous to take the kick, regardless of his position in the in-goal area. I've never been blown up for offside in this situation, but it's come up in the argument that one cannot be ahead of the kicker regardless of whether you're in goal or not. I've seen reference to laws 22 and 11, though can't recall the exact clauses to justify this assertion.

Have I been doing it wrong since 2006? Would hate to give away a penalty in our upcoming internationals against England and Wales Deaf in this situation!

Cheers

Mark

Defbok

Welcome to rugbyrefs

You are fine standing on your own goal-line, but if the ball is passed to a player deeper in-goal than you, and he kicks the ball ahead of you, you are offside and you remain offside until the kicker or another player level with or behind him, passes you. You cannot move forward until that happens.

A player who kicks the ball from in-goal with all his team-mates ahead of him should ALWAYS chase the ball so as to put his team-mates onside.

ETA: This is the Law reference you are looking for

[LAWS]11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY
(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to sanction only if the player does one of three
things:
• Interferes with play or,
• Moves forward, towards the ball or
• Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4).
A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised.
A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside.
A player can be offside in the in-goal.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Deafbok

Post Likes
Thanks gents, much appreciated. I guess I'll just work on timing my runs from further back so I'm already at pace when the kick goes - seems to be the best way of regaining the "lost" ground with the ruling!