offside line at the tackle.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I thought I understood this - but maybe not. In the image below, apparently there was never a ruck only a tackle.

Im told that blue cannot run around to try and win/grab the ball because there is an inviolate offside ljne at the tackle now, in effect making it the same as a ruck.

Is that true? a law reference would be useful.

Thanks

didds

Attachments

• safe_image.jpg
    safe_image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Law 14.10 of course

Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.

sorted!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
In my mind this is essentially refereed in the same way as for a ruck.

I believe the post/article was questioning the craziness of having a 3 man caterpillar at a tackle, but is this really any different to the ongoing debate of a caterpillar at the back of a ruck?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thats been around a few years now Didds :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yeah - I just had a brain fart yesterday. The shock of bloody mako back in the squad probably caused it.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
… the post/article was questioning the craziness of having a 3 man caterpillar at a tackle…
As much as I dislike the caterpillar it seems to be endemic now, even the junior HS teams run it regularly. Maybe it’s just so ingrained into the training sessions that it’s now just an automatic reaction “see a breakdown, shove your head up the player in front‘s ar**…”

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
a partial solution to the caterpillar is to call use it early, and if people are not bound properly call the ball out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
a partial solution to the caterpillar is to call use it early, and if people are not bound properly call the ball out.
yes, but 5 seconds is sooo loooong -- plenty of time to build the caterpillar.
we need to change "5 seconds" to "without delay"

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11