Offside query - U10 NRoP

Steve

Post Likes
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted but I have been dipping in and out in the meantime, taking in all the useful info.

Scenario (U10 NRoP) - Following a couple tackles and subsequent rucks, Blue team on the attack passing the ball down the attacking line whilst making good forward yardage. Red player from previous ruck trying to get back to his defensive line but catches the ball during a pass on his way back through. At the point of the ball leaving the attackers hand, Red was behind the passer and flat with the receiver.

Is Red offside, given this is during open play? Can Red be sanctioned for interfering with play?

I was queried at a festival very recently for calling Red offside, but throughout the season this has happened several times and no-one has ever queried the decision before. If I am wrong, I need to know as we still have another 4 festivals in the run out to the end of the season plus several other likeminded u10 coaches / refs may appreciate the heads up.

Many thanks in advance
Steve

Steve

Post Likes
For the record, when I said 'sanctioned' I meant blown up for free pass, not hauled before an RFU disciplinary committee! Lol

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
how many pases away from the ruck?

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Under NROP tackles create an offside line

Was he offside at the last ruck or tackle?
If so he must put himself onside before he does anything else.

However, if Blue have advanced beyond the last tackle, Red must have retired behind the offside line from it in order to intercept the pass.
So surely Red must have put himself onside.

If there was a later tackle and Blue had to move the ball back from there to get it down the line - even though Red is retiring from the ruck he was involved in he may be offside from the last tackle.

Camquin

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A player can't be offside from open play IF 'the last time' there was an offside line he was complying with it.

Saying that it does look strange, so the appeals are understandable, but hey ...get used to it, "uncontested rucks" are approaching the horizon !!! :deadhorse:

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
[FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]u10 NROP are here:-
http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/Governance/Regulations/01/30/34/89/RFU_Regulation_15_appdx_1_new_under_10_rules_of_play_Neutral.pdf

And I think the underlined piece covers your scenario, so yes, he has to get back onside before interferring with play.

8. Offside:
a) In general play, anyone who is in front of a team mate who has played the ball is liable to sanction unless they return to an onside position (i.e. behind the team mate who played the ball).
b) At the tackle, offside occurs at the time of the tackle where the offside line is the hindmost part of the tackled player and tackler. All the other players from the defending team must retire towards their own goal line until they are behind the hindmost part of the tackled player and tackler.
c) At the maul, where contact is made and the ball carrier stays on their feet and a maul is formed, the offside line is the hindmost foot of the hindmost player in the maul.
d) At the ruck, the offside line is the hindmost foot of the hindmost player in the ruck.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
So Dan_A usefully quotes the rule. I have to confess that I have no knowledge of the game under these rules, but it seems as though the offside player becomes onside again not when he's the "correct" side of the ball, but once he's retreated back to his own side of the offside line. So if the ball carrier had gone beyond that line before passing, the previously-offside player could snaffle the ball mid-pass from the wrong side IF he was closer to his own goal line than the last tackle.

Steve

Post Likes
Many thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to apply my new found knowledge with some confidence if the situation ever arises again, which it will.

Does seem somewhat confusing for 9 / 10 year olds to try to understand, let alone volunteer refs! Thanks again.

So if the ball carrier had gone beyond that line before passing, the previously-offside player could snaffle the ball mid-pass from the wrong side IF he was closer to his own goal line than the last tackle.