Offside when ball goes dead

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Red have a ruck on their 5m line. The ball is passed back to red 10 who is deep in goal and he kicks for touch and finds it.

Blue take a QTI and red12 who was ahead of the kicker and has advanced is in a position to make a tackle.

Is red 12 offside ? or has the ball going dead negated the fact that he was in front of the kicker ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The ball went dead, so all offside lines disappear. Blue can mike the ball live again with a QTI, but cannot revive the offside lines.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The ball went dead, so all offside lines disappear. Blue can mike the ball live again with a QTI, but cannot revive the offside lines.
If Red 12 is offside and moving up the pitch (so making no attempt to get back onside) after the kick but before it goes into touch, and that gives them a material advantage then wouldn’t the call for offside precede the ball going dead?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There are some guidelines about this on the WR site . Should be a PK

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If Red 12 is offside and moving up the pitch (so making no attempt to get back onside) after the kick but before it goes into touch, and that gives them a material advantage then wouldn’t the call for offside precede the ball going dead?

Unless Red 12 is offside under 10 metre law, he doesn't need to make an attempt to get back onside. Just standing still is adequate. But yes, if moving forward before ball goes into touch gives a material advantage (ie preventing a QTI) then penalty. If its just a #3 lumbering up to the lineout, play on.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so the White player with the big red arrow looks to be about 10m from touch. If he'd just stood there and his very presence discouraged a QTI, then that would be play on?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 11

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think so, yes. The offence is to move forward.
So players in front of the kick need to stay still, until put onside or until the ball goes into touch

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So players in front of the kick need to stay still, until put onside or until the ball goes into touch
But if Green took the throw and that player attempted to take part they are offside under 10.1(c) or 10.4(c) correct?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But if Green took the throw and that player attempted to take part they are offside under 10.1(c) or 10.4(c) correct?
I think once the ball goes into touch, the requirement to stay still (or retire) ceases and then.. if they were legal up to that point .. they are free to defend the QTI

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think once the ball goes into touch, the requirement to stay still (or retire) ceases and then.. if they were legal up to that point .. they are free to defend the QTI
I can't see how a player in front of their team mate who last played it would be considered onside. But it has been a long week and rugby is organised chaos at times especially once the backs start kicking it back and forth.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
In the match in question it didn't prevent the QTI, they took the QTI and then he blew the whistle.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't see how a player in front of their team mate who last played it would be considered onside. But it has been a long week and rugby is organised chaos at times especially once the backs start kicking it back and forth.
It's a thing we have discussed before .. all the WR videos showed scenarios where the players actually advanced. So ..

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so could be an interesting tactic:
1. Send Blue #12 down to the halfway, 15 metres, in who then stands motionless
2. Blue #10 then kicks for gain in ground from his own 22 with ball going out on halfway
3. Once ball is out, Blue #12 if free to contest any QTI

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
2. Blue #10 then kicks for gain in ground from his own 22 with ball going out on halfway
Surely this is an omission from the laws. QTI's seem to be a method of removing a stoppage by extending the open play period so I'd have thought that the offside in general play laws continue to apply until the QTI option is no longer available.

Take the example above - if the 12 was offside before the kick and the ball didn't go out, would we allow that player to then chase the catcher down from behind - No, because of the 10m part of the law. I can't see how a player who is offside in front of the kicker like this can be brought onside until a LoT is formed at the LO.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Surely this is an omission from the laws. QTI's seem to be a method of removing a stoppage by extending the open play period so I'd have thought that the offside in general play laws continue to apply until the QTI option is no longer available.

Take the example above - if the 12 was offside before the kick and the ball didn't go out, would we allow that player to then chase the catcher down from behind - No, because of the 10m part of the law. I can't see how a player who is offside in front of the kicker like this can be brought onside until a LoT is formed at the LO.
even if the #12 didn't participate in the QTI and remained motionless,, his very presence in the area is likely to deter a QTI

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In this case the 10m rule would apply so he'd have to retreat 10m rather than stand still, but otherwise yes I think it would be legal.

I don't think it would be a good tactic .. 12 is removing himself from the game in order to contest a QTI that probably will never happen anyway, and all the time if a ruck happens he'll need to get quickly back.onside

In general terms is it legal to station yourself motionless 40m upfield , waiting for ball to arrive ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In this case the 10m rule would apply so he'd have to retreat 10m rather than stand still, but otherwise yes I think it would be legal.
He is on the 15m line, so 10m rule wouldn't apply
I don't think it would be a good tactic .. 12 is removing himself from the game in order to contest a QTI that probably will never happen anyway, and all the time if a ruck happens he'll need to get quickly back.onside
I'm thinking from a standard #10 clearance of a #9 box kick, so a ruck or any other phase is unlikely
In general terms is it legal to station yourself motionless 40m upfield , waiting for ball to arrive ? I can't see why not provided no offside lines exist