Oh no ... he said it!

Donaldo01

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Edinburgh -v- Leinster. 70 ish minute, free to Leinster taken quickly. Peep ... not ten .... Tim Hayes (having made a mark in my opinion) says "No, no, no you can't take the second one quickly"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Edinburgh -v- Leinster. 70 ish minute, free to Leinster taken quickly. Peep ... not ten .... Tim Hayes (having made a mark in my opinion) says "No, no, no you can't take the second one quickly"

Oh dear! :norc:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's an interesting question for you. What happens if you make the mark and the attacking team goes quickley, the defending team on the other hand all stop and look at you waiting for you to bring it back, wondering why you don't pull it up because "every other ref this season has"... even harder if a try is then scored. Coaches, players and spectators will all be up in arms...

Anyone ever include this in their pre-match? I know I've been asked a couple of times if repeated quick taps were acceptable.

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There's an interesting question for you. What happens if you make the mark and the attacking team goes quickley, the defending team on the other hand all stop and look at you waiting for you to bring it back, wondering why you don't pull it up because "every other ref this season has"... even harder if a try is then scored. Coaches, players and spectators will all be up in arms...

Anyone ever include this in their pre-match? I know I've been asked a couple of times if repeated quick taps were acceptable.

Simply ask the person who complains to point to the section of law that prohibits a quick tap in the circumstance. If they can't, then they can't complain.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes

Simply ask the person who complains to point to the section of law that prohibits a quick tap in the circumstance. If they can't, then they can't complain.
Am I missing something gents?

21.8 Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second free kick, awarded 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. If the referee awards a second free kick, the second free kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the free kick.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Yes you are!

21.8 Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second free kick, awarded 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. If the referee awards a second free kick, the second free kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the free kick.
Donaldo01 said:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Sorry Taff, all of this assumes that multiple quick taps are taken post me making the mark. I try to get to the mark as quickly as possible to allow this. However, a lot of teams assume that they are allowed to get back ten and reset before the second PK/FK is taken.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Selection game the other week.
I award a penalty, they go quick, not 10.
Peep.
As I am marching the 10m for the second PK the defenders are walking back at the same pace as me shouting, "they cant take it quick", "they cant take a quick one ref".
I get to the 10m mark, make a mark and say to the attackers "go when you are ready".
He goes, runs past the defenders who are still shouting "he can't take a quick one", and are still not 10m back.
Attackers score a try.

My coach thought it was brilliant. He said " you walked 10m and made the mark, giving them ample opportunity to run 20m, nothing wrong with that, good work".

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Selection game the other week.
I award a penalty, they go quick, not 10.
Peep.
As I am marching the 10m for the second PK the defenders are walking back at the same pace as me shouting, "they cant take it quick", "they cant take a quick one ref".
I get to the 10m mark, make a mark and say to the attackers "go when you are ready".
He goes, runs past the defenders who are still shouting "he can't take a quick one", and are still not 10m back.
Attackers score a try.

My coach thought it was brilliant. He said " you walked 10m and made the mark, giving them ample opportunity to run 20m, nothing wrong with that, good work".

I agree. The offending team were their own worst enemies. What transpired was down to them entirely.

The non-infringing team can take a quick tap from the first FK/PK as long as they are behind and close to the place of the infringement, and another quick tap for the "not 10" as soon as you have made the mark.

In the OP's case, if Hayes did make the mark, he was wrong to say they couldn't take the quick tap.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
We need a list of Myths so we can print them out and hand them out at the pre-match briefing. it would save some time.

Buzz

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
We need a list of Myths so we can print them out and hand them out at the pre-match briefing. it would save some time.

"He's got to let him up!" is the one I hate! I had one yesterday in my game. Local club U19 vs Private school 1st XV (cross border).

Home 9 fell on loose ball and stayed on floor, away 7 stood over him, and went to 'jackal' the ball. 9 held on so whistle blown to loud cheers from home sidelines, which turned to "you must be joking - he's got to let him up", when the penalty was awarded to away team for holding on. Players following coaches lead - marched back 10 for dissent.

Verbals ongoing from sidelines - 1 person in particular, so time off - walked to side, asked this individual to calm down etc. He continued to say it was a joke, I was wrong etc. so I kindly asked him to 'visit' the clubhouse until the end of the game.

No further incidents during the game. Individual approached me after final whistle, again trying to convince me that the player has to let him up, so I asked him outright which law says that a player who approaches a player on the floor on open play has to let him get up before he can make an attempt to get the ball? his response was "it's in the laws". I told him to check the LoG and law 14 in particular, whilst I got showered and changed, and if he could point it out to me in the bar I'd buy him a pint. I even offered to lend him my copy. Didn't see him again - maybe he's still trying to find it :wink: .

Found out later he was Head Coach of the club in charge of the 1st XV!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
With reference to Dylan Hatley's try BM on the BBC highlights was "double movementing" supported by Lawrence Dallaglio later in pundit's corner.

No wonder it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to convince our average L10 knobhead we're right and they're wrong....................................or are we? Dee dee dee dee deee dee dee dee (twilight zone music):confused: :wow: :confused: :wow: :confused: :wow:

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Where does it say in the law book about taking the pen as soon as the mark has been made? I am sure it's there, I just can't find it!!!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Where does it say in the law book about taking the pen as soon as the mark has been made? I am sure it's there, I just can't find it!!!

21.7 & 21.8:

Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.

Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second free kick, awarded 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. If the referee awards a second free kick, the second free kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the free kick.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
With reference to Dylan Hatley's try BM on the BBC highlights was "double movementing" supported by Lawrence Dallaglio later in pundit's corner.

No wonder it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to convince our average L10 knobhead we're right and they're wrong....................................or are we? Dee dee dee dee deee dee dee dee (twilight zone music):confused: :wow: :confused: :wow: :confused: :wow:
My Facebook status yesterday contained a small rant about the conversation Gabby Logan had with Jonathan Davies before the Wales Australia match about the "new rules":norc: :norc:

Said rant was well received by a number of fellow refs at all levels. So well received in fact, that when I said I wouldn't rant about Wagner staying in X-Factor, I was asked if I would, as the last one had been most enjoyable.:biggrin:

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes

My FB status yesterday contained a small rant about the conversation Gabby Logan had with Jonathan Davies before the Wales Australia match about the "new rules":norc: :norc:

Said rant was well received by a number of fellow refs at all levels. So well received in fact, that when I said I wouldn't rant about Wagner staying in X-Factor, I was asked if I would, as the last one had been most enjoyable.:biggrin:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let him up and can't take it quickly - I hate

Double movement I've got ore time for as every rugby playr knows what is being talked about.

I bet when you cringed at BM you also knew exactly what he meant.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Double movement I've got ore time for as every rugby player knows what is being talked about.

The arguments on Planet-Rugby about this show that is not true.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
The arguments on Planet-Rugby about this show that is not true.

But seeing as we can't agree here what is a forward pass it is hardly a strong argument to stop the use of one phrase, by the same logic do we need to stop using forward pass? :eek: