Level 6
4.5(h) - “A player may not wear communication devices”

Seems pretty clear to me!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
THis was during the taking of a penalty at goal. Seemed naughty to me.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Clearly not a very good water boy then, seeing as their primary role is to be wired up and relay communications. Oh, and carry water!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I saw that live, it was on the big screen and tv, so the TMO must have seen it.

Something should have been said there and then, but I hope WR were watching and do something about it.

Thin end of the wedge in my opinion.

Having said that, there is no sanction for it?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Clearly not a very good water boy then, seeing as their primary role is to be wired up and relay communications. Oh, and carry water!

He's not a water boy. Or am I missing something clever?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having said that, there is no sanction for it?

it's a good point.

I'd say that when this happens off pitch, there is nothing the ref can do about it.
It's a matter for WR to deal with later

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
He was still a player , right ?

Well duh, yes obviously. So he can't wear it (4.5), but theres no sanction unless he takes part in the match or has been warned prior to the match and then enters the playing area.

And I don't see anywhere it saying he can't call his coach during a stoppage of play, out of the playing area.

[laws]4.5 A player may not wear:
Any item contaminated by blood.
Any sharp or abrasive item.
Any items containing buckles, clips, rings, hinges, zippers, screws, bolts or rigid material or projection not otherwise permitted under this law.
Jewellery.
Gloves.
Shorts with padding sewn into them.
Any item that is normally permitted in law but, in the referee’s opinion, is liable to cause injury.
Communication devices.
4.6 The referee has the power to decide at any time that part of a player’s clothing is dangerous or illegal. In this case, the referee must order the player to remove the item. The player must not take part in the match until the item is removed or rendered harmless.
4.7 If, at an inspection before the match, a match official tells a player that an item banned under this law is being worn and the player is subsequently found to be wearing that item on the playing area, that player is sent off for misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.[/laws]

Last edited:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... but he wasn't on the field of play at the time.

If he was off the playing area at the time - could he have been caught under 3.7? [LAWS]"If a player re-joins or a replacement joins the match without the referee's permission and the referee believes the player did so to gain an advantage, the player is guilty of misconduct"[/LAWS]

I realise players leave the playing area to retrieve balls etc all the time, but that seems to be covered under a gentleman's agreement to keep the game flowing.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I tend to lean towards the "who cares"?

Coach to runner: "Tell that capt to run the "hotdogs" set piece AT Foley - he can't tackle" (runner takes water to player and passes on message)
Vs
Coach direct to capt: "Run 'hotdogs' at Foley..he cant tackle"

Difference????

I say that part of law is old and antiquated...theyre coaching from the sideline now through a clever parrot. So just let them use whatever method they want.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I realise players leave the playing area to retrieve balls etc all the time, but that seems to be covered under a gentleman's agreement to keep the game flowing.

In 1989 I saw a ref in Germany ping a player at kick off for starting outside the touchline and running forwards onto the pitch to catch the ball after it was kicked.

never say never.

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Lookig at the pic, he's technically not wearing it. It's held up to his ear. lol

- - - Updated - - -

*looking