[Law] on your Mark's

nylluma

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hello all, I am back with another question!

Law 17.1(a) states:

[LAWS][FONT=fs_blakeregular]To claim a mark, a player must: [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]a)Have at least one foot on or behind their own 22-metre line when catching the ball or when landing having caught it in the air...[/FONT][/LAWS]

Now, suppose that Red 15 jumps to catch the ball, catches it above the 22m line, and first lands on his foot which is outside the 22, and then lands on his other foot which is in the 22, and then calls mark.

What's the decision here? When did he finish the act of landing? When he first touched the ground, or when he landed on both feet?

Thanks a lot,
Nyll.

Last edited:

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
2017 LotG state:
Law 18. - Definition

To make a mark, a player must be on or behind that player’s 22-metre line. A player with one foot on the 22-metre line or behind it is considered to be ‘in the 22’....

I would have given it in 2017 and I will give it in 2018

nylluma

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
2017 LotG state:
Law 18. - Definition

To make a mark, a player must be on or behind that player’s 22-metre line. A player with one foot on the 22-metre line or behind it is considered to be ‘in the 22’....

I would have given it in 2017 and I will give it in 2018

I am in doubt because this makes me feel as if red 15 has caught the ball outside the 22, and then brought it into 22 and called a mark.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Now, suppose that Red 15 jumps to catch the ball, catches it above the 22m line, and first lands on his foot which is outside the 22, and then lands on his other foot which is in the 22, and then calls mark. What's the decision here?
Bear in mind

• A player can claim a Mark while off the ground. Years ago you had to physically make a mark on the ground, but that was dropped.
  • The 22m line is in the 22.
So I would give the Mark.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Consistent with a player leaping from touch, catching a ball in the air and landing in the playing area. Do we care where the ball is?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a bit "angel on pin head", but given I wouldn't be able to see exactly where the player caught the ball and the only thing I know for certain is he landed outside 22, I'd be disinclined to award it.

Specifically to this question:
When did he finish the act of landing? When he first touched the ground, or when he landed on both feet?

The player has landed when he first touches the ground. For example, a player leaps to catch a ball. He can't be tackled until at least one foot (but not necessarily both feet) is on the ground.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
E
Consistent with a player leaping from touch, catching a ball in the air and landing in the playing area. Do we care where the ball is?

From a mark perspective no, but were we to have to consider it from a from a "taken back in" perspective, then yes.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
As with any mark - make your decision quickly and either blow or clearly call "play on, outside 22" other wise one or more players will stop and that is when they get hurt.

You will want to add "taken back in" but that can be a breath later.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
From the initial description, the only thing clear is that the player has called the mark outside the 22 so play on for me but call it to avoid injuries

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you are going to call 'mark' then you can't then say the ball was taken back in coz you can't have a mark unless he's in the 22. Other than the technicality of 'first foot landing' I agree that allowing the mark for safety reasons is a sound choice unless the marker is not under any pressure.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think the law trial requires to ball to have got to the plane of the 22 before you can claim a mark now.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I think the law trial requires to ball to have got to the plane of the 22 before you can claim a mark now.
Exactly.

And if the ball is on or has crossed the plane of the 22 (in the OP it was directly over - so inside the 22) and the catcher is in the air as he is allowed to be, why can't he have Mark?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely the point is that a player jumping for a ball about to land near the 22m line is looking at the ball, not the line. He may land with his front foot just over the line fractionally before his back foot lands on the line.

We are splitting hairs, so I would want a clear, early call by the referee, and forget the hairs.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

That's my thoughts too. with the latest rewrites/whatever they have - like touch in some ways - they've taken something that was easy to ref/call at any level of rugby and made it something that requires line judgements, when refs may not be in the nest position to see them.

winner.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure the trial applies to mark
Though I think it would to carrying back

Which would be weird

Out in the sticks I am very unlikely to be standing on the 22m line to judge the plane , so I would go with the feet , and if he lands one foot out one foot in, I'd give the mark , as the law says

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am not sure the trial applies to mark
Though I think it would to carrying back

Which would be weird

Out in the sticks I am very unlikely to be standing on the 22m line to judge the plane , so I would go with the feet , and if he lands one foot out one foot in, I'd give the mark , as the law says

it was raised as a discussion point in a super rugby game last season when the mark was not given because while he had his foot behind, he clearly had caught it in front of the line. Under the circumstances I am going to give it. As far as taken back in decisions, I am following the law trials as best I can.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Global Law Trials - pretty clear in my opinion

Law 18 Definition Mark
To make a mark a player must have one or both feet on or behind that player’s 22-metre line and catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Global Law Trials - pretty clear in my opinion

Law 18 Definition Mark
To make a mark a player must have one or both feet on or behind that player’s 22-metre line and catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line.

Hmmm do we think the intention was that you can't call a mark if jumping for the ball ?