One short in the scrum

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
U19's must be a welsh thing, as it's normally U18's or U20's

Its a generic thing, covering ALL age groups up to and including U19. as laid down by the IRB/WR/whatever they call themselves this week.

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its a generic thing, covering ALL age groups up to and including U19. as laid down by the IRB/WR/whatever they call themselves this week.

didds

BFG was pointing out that in his experience of RFU-land, games are banded as either U.18 or U.20 with nothing in between.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"One short in the scrum"

Is that akin to "Not playing with a full deck"?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
BFG was pointing out that in his experience of RFU-land, games are banded as either U.18 or U.20 with nothing in between.

Only Youth, in Wales is U19. The academy system is based on U16, U18 and U20. From the thread it seems England is the same. So What about other countries?

Should the WR laws relect the spilt is 18 and 20 not 19? Or are Wales and England being awkward?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Should the WR laws relect the spilt is 18 and 20 not 19? Or are Wales and England being awkward?

No. its not about what AGs different countries run as they chosen academy AGs. Its about those playing rugby globally aged under 19 years in whatever age group they are in.

Its quite simple really.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No. its not about what AGs different countries run as they chosen academy AGs. Its about those playing rugby globally aged under 19 years in whatever age group they are in.

Its quite simple really.

didds
Is it? Surely that means that if you have a U19 player in a U20 team, you have to play U19 Laws?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB..:292012 said:

Its quite simple really.

didds
Is it? Surely that means that if you have a U19 player in a U20 team, you have to play U19 Laws?

Please don't ask that question (WR)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How many players made their international debut before their 19th birthday? Titi Lamositele was one for the USA.

I don't think they went to U-19 laws.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Isnt there an "elite" player override ? I think England Academy age grade players can play 'up' with consent (other than FRow)

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes. What makes Titi especially interesting is he plays front row. Signed with Saracens last year. Now is injured, not sure how.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yes under 17s can play up with permission, but you have to be 18 to play in the front row.
It is all in regulation 15, and I assume this implements World Rugby regs.

Titi was born on 11 Feb 1998
His first full international was August 2013 - so he would be 18 and about 180 days.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/player/195313.html

But I do not know where he played before that.

Camquin

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Played HS in the US and the US U-20s. Had only played 3 years.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sunday, my u16's have a prop binned, due to a certain European match we were more than a few players short, so no replacement. Few mins into his bin there's a scrum, Ref looks at me and says where's your prop, I shrug my shoulders and point to the one stood next to me! "you'll have to go uncontested sir" :wink: says I. So they do, at which point I shout to my capt, "make sure they drop a player too Miles" "Oh and make sure they don't play with a No8", the ref turns round and says, "excuse me coach i'll ref this game".

"Sorry sir, just making sure my team know what's going on, it's not happened to us before (which is true)" he just turns and puts his finger to his lips. Fair enough thinks I.

Next scrum, our put in, our 8 goes in the 8 channel picks up from the base and scores, I just stood there looked at the ref and smiled. You just can't help some people :wink: