oomph...

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Fair enough, he's taking the ball out the outside of the foot.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Personally, I don't think that ball is out.

Also, possible penalty for falling over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck (Law 15.16.e) (I remember Haskell getting penalised for this when playing for England). You don't see this offence penalised very often, but I think it is important for protecting the scrum half... as seen in the clip, the scrum half is lucky not to come away with a serious lower leg injury.

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Before the blue player touches the ball he hits the scrum half without a wrap. However, it is not a tackle as the scrum half doesn't have the ball. Tricky one to unpick for me.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don’t think the ball is out. If it is it’s an offence of falling over the ball as its coming it of the ruck. Either way the Argentinians were hard done too here.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
id the ref called it out then whether it really is or isnt its out surely?

As it is blue 10 just smashed stripe 9 out of the way before claiming the ball.

Can you just barge people out of the way (when not forming a ruck i suppose) ?

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The referee calls the ball out, so the player going for the ball is fine.
However the shoulder barge to the lower leg is dangerous play for me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Also, possible penalty for falling over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck (Law 15.16.e).

This is a secondary thread really so apologies if this ends up derailing this one... but Ive never really "got" this law. If the ball is out its free play, and in any other area of the field such an action would be fine. Stu does mention a Haskell incident where he got pinged but frankly I've seen similar for decades that never gets pinged, so either its an odd law with nuances that Ive never had explained to me, or its universally 99.9% of the time ignored.

??

didds

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This seems to be an area in which referees have (rightly) been encouraged to speed up the game. For defending sides though it seems a bit of a minefield. I saw several instances over the weekend, in which very fine margins were apparent between allowing a team to compete and penalising them for doing so. The question, "When is the ball out?" is this season's most asked question at my pre-match briefings.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
This is a secondary thread really so apologies if this ends up derailing this one... but Ive never really "got" this law. If the ball is out its free play, and in any other area of the field such an action would be fine. Stu does mention a Haskell incident where he got pinged but frankly I've seen similar for decades that never gets pinged, so either its an odd law with nuances that Ive never had explained to me, or its universally 99.9% of the time ignored.

??

didds

I don't know the official thinking behind this, but for me the following points have merit:
1) Rugby should be played on feet
2) potential danger to scrum half, as per this example
3) potential danger to person diving on the floor if the ruck suddenly gets shoved backwards (and probably dangerous for the players in the ruck if they trip over him while going backwards)
4) you will have a huge mess with both teams trying to breakup the ruck and then immediately support/defend the guy on the floor immediately behind the ruck, potentially with also someone jackalling the guy on the floor.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
3) and 4) - safety was the thought that was drifting throuh my mind

2) is really just part of 3+4

as for 1... well... this gets trotted out regularly yet we see plenty of examples where that patently isnt the case eg falling on the ball to claim it everywhere else on the field, and the current "trend" (which i note happens at level 7 as well not just elite) of "ruckers" being all over the place but certainly not on their feet going unpunished. So its frankly no more than a vague concept that doesnt really stand up in practise. Oh - and the ball coming to a player on the floor who then plays it - there was one ISTR early on in either Sco v SA or Ire v NZ at the weekend I noticed in passing.