Open hand hand-off ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am assuming nothing, nor was I saying anything - merely guessing at what pwhaling was meaning.

Having said that; if done quickly, quite considerable force. More force than simply straightening the arm, since it brings the weight of the whole of his upper body into play. Have you ever seen a boxer punch someone? Try both yourself against a brick wall and report back on how your wrist feels after the shoulder swing.

Spoken like a true lawyer!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Try doing it when you are running with the ball in the other hand

IMO, the most likely person to be injured is you, when you dislocate your shoulder, or wreck your shoulder ligaments

So you agree that it can generate considerable force - enough to wreck a shoulder if done wrong (or maybe even if done right)?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So you agree that it can generate considerable force - enough to wreck a shoulder if done wrong (or maybe even if done right)?

Yep. If you run head first intro a brick wall, you can generate considerable force too. It doesn't mean you're going to do it though!

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Marauder:284607 said:
"Swing"? Please explain.
Maybe too subtle. Joke about Mike Frasier's red card in the Canada/Scotland game this summer.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Maybe too subtle. Joke about Mike Frasier's red card in the Canada/Scotland game this summer.

Definitely at the far end of subtle ........ If you'd said a leading forearm smash into the head of any opponent, then we might have got it .
:)

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yep. If you run head first intro a brick wall, you can generate considerable force too. It doesn't mean you're going to do it though!

Since I was simply countering Marauder's claim that Gold in your third photo couldn't generate much force swinging his shoulders square again, you appear to be on my side of the discussion.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If we have to dissect still images for straight or bent arms then it isn't going to be a clear and obvious strike in real time for me. We'll play on, unless I see clear evidence of striking.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am assuming nothing, nor was I saying anything - merely guessing at what pwhaling was meaning.

Having said that; if done quickly, quite considerable force. More force than simply straightening the arm, since it brings the weight of the whole of his upper body into play. Have you ever seen a boxer punch someone? Try both yourself against a brick wall and report back on how your wrist feels after the shoulder swing.

I don't have to experiment as I have a grasp of the mechanics. Boxers don't straighten the arm then rotate the shoulder when seeking to deliver a heavy punch. Quite the opposite. Your statement "bring the weight of the whole of his upper body into play" may impress the jury but is factually incorrect.

Sorry, pwhaling, too subtle for me.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't have to experiment as I have a grasp of the mechanics. Boxers don't straighten the arm then rotate the shoulder when seeking to deliver a heavy punch. Quite the opposite. Your statement "bring the weight of the whole of his upper body into play" may impress the jury but is factually incorrect.

Sorry, pwhaling, too subtle for me.

The major element in the power of the punch/palm strike is generated not by the triceps straightening the arm, but by the core muscles swinging the upper body and the shoulder with it. It is true that if the arm starts straight, less power is generated - but far more is generated doing that than by flicking the arm straight with no shoulder rotation.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hmmmm. Did Ali know that? I've seen him KO an opponent with three quick jabs straight from the leading shoulder.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Are you (and pwhaling) saying that squaring his shoulders would constitute a strike rather than a fend?

How much force do you think that would impart? Give it a try. You are also assuming the the defenders face isn't moving toward the hand.

Are you also saying that these next two fends are illegal strikes?View attachment 3056View attachment 3057

In picture #1 I would allow the black player to make a fist and strike gold #14 as hard as he liked. Although if I have made a mistake and gold #14 is not James O'Connor the I would have to insist he maintain an open palm.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Last edited:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
In picture #1 I would allow the black player to make a fist and strike gold #14 as hard as he liked. Although if I have made a mistake and gold #14 is not James O'Connor the I would have to insist he maintain an open palm.

hahahahaha...good one LLP