Orange Card

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Now just to find use for the purple and green cards and rainbow is sorted (probably don't need the black). ( Does a card rolodex fit in a pocket?)

Black = Match Abandoned

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm not in favour of the Orange card. Yellow and red seems to work fine in the SH where the TMO can upgrade to red. (PS don't like their 20 min red card but that's a different debate)
Surely this now means that you need two TMOs at the top level for each game. If you are reviewing a yellow too red scenario how can you be watch the game in progres?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe not for each game. The technology must exist to provide "WFH" TMO(s) for all games .
TBH unless the concern is all comms external to the ground are lost, why are TMOs AT the ground anyway ?

Isn't it RL that has centralised TMOs ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe not for each game. The technology must exist to provide "WFH" TMO(s) for all games .
TBH unless the concern is all comms external to the ground are lost, why are TMOs AT the ground anyway ?

Isn't it RL that has centralised TMOs ?

TMO's are at the ground because that's where the broadcaster is and where they broadcast the show from.
The production van is in the car park.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and that cannot ever be done remotely ? Im struggling with why not.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
TBH I assumed it was.

If it isn't - then (in line with Marc's post) - its ridiculous.
Not all games in the URC nor in the Welsh Premiership have TMOs. Until Every game in a competition has TMOs then this is grossly unfair and rediculous. I have no idea about other leagues.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and that cannot ever be done remotely ? Im struggling with why not.

Because the TV Studio and the Director who directs the programme is in the van at the ground. The TMO needs to be with them to ask for what shots and angles he wants.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is that the one with the ridiculous head contact by Angus Blyth that was only a yellow in real time. [Just checked. No, it was the Brumbies]

The problem with the system is that some referees will use it as a cop-out and leave the TMO to make the decision. I'm also philosophically opposed to 20 minutes down. If it's worth a red card, it's worth a red card and being a man down for the rest of the game.
Don't want to get sent off and/or ruin the game as a spectacle? Don't commit acts of foul play.
Unfortunately Simon, WR has made a rod for their own back here. Red Cards have become a lottery, a fact that has never been more plainly demonstrated than by the ludicrous Freddie Steward RC.

What I would rather see in elite matches (i.e. those with a TMO) is NO red cards on the field. The referee can only issue a YC, which will get the player off the field and the game can carry on while the TMO has up to 10 minutes to view all the footage and decide one of three possibilities;

1. Yellow card confirmed. The player may return or be replaced after 10 minutes.
2. Red Card upgrade. The player cannot return, but may be replaced after 20 minutes.
3. Black Card upgrade. The player is off permanently can cannot be replaced.

I also think its time WR placed less emphasis on punishing the players immediately and allowing mitigation, and more emphasis on far longer, more severe punishments later. A player who commits a black card offence (that would be things such as eye gouging, bag snatching, kicking a player on the ground, punching another player in the head etc) and is subsequently found guilty, should be allowed no mitigation or account for a clean record or an early guilty plea, and be suspended for a calendar year - they miss the rest of the season and the first part of the following season.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Because the TV Studio and the Director who directs the programme is in the van at the ground. The TMO needs to be with them to ask for what shots and angles he wants.
Surely that can be done via a link.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
. The referee can only issue a YC, which will get the player off the field and the game can carry on while the TMO has up to 10 minutes to view all the footage and decide one of three possibilities;

1. Yellow card confirmed. The player may return or be replaced after 10 minutes.
2. Red Card upgrade. The player cannot return, but may be replaced after 20 minutes.
3. Black Card upgrade. The player is off permanently can cannot be replaced.
I would call those
Yellow
Orange
Red

As I would like to see the RC restored to its old traditional meaning, and the new fangled thing, the 20 min version , be assigned the new colour

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would call those
Yellow
Orange
Red

As I would like to see the RC restored to its old traditional meaning, and the new fangled thing, the 20 min version , be assigned the new colour
Fine. Its just a matter of details... the referee would carry only one card, the yellow one. The remaining decision making is done by the TMO

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fine. Its just a matter of details... the referee would carry only one card, the yellow one. The remaining decision making is done by the TMO
I would like the referee to be able to go directly to RC if he/she wants to .. for an old fashioned egregious bit of foul play, a king hit or something, it would look feeble to YC that , for a TMO to review and 'confirm' it should indeed be red

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Referee doesn't even need to carry a card anymore under your proposal. Just point to the sideline when a YC is awarded. Currently, showing the card is just to let the sideline know how long the send off is (YC or RC). If the TMO is going to make the final call on the time on the sideline, then we don't need a signal for it anymore.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referee doesn't even need to carry a card anymore under your proposal. Just point to the sideline when a YC is awarded. Currently, showing the card is just to let the sideline know how long the send off is (YC or RC). If the TMO is going to make the final call on the time on the sideline, then we don't need a signal for it anymore.
Except you just said you would ! (Point to sideline)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
100% ....even better...

I don't know how old you are, but there are quite a number of us here who were refereeing at a time when there were sin-bins and sendings off, but there were no coloured cards - we used to simply point to the dead ball line for a sin bin (because that is where a sin binned player had to stand) and to the sideline for a sending off.

Coloured cards were introduced for the benefit of TV rugby!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would like the referee to be able to go directly to RC if he/she wants to .. for an old fashioned egregious bit of foul play, a king hit or something, it would look feeble to YC that , for a TMO to review and 'confirm' it should indeed be red
Perhaps, but it would only look feeble to those who did not understand.

The whole point of the proposal was to speed up the game, and put an end to the protracted length of time spent with all the players standing around while the refeeree and two ARs are watching endless replays trying to make a decision with the time-pressure to get on with the game.
Let the the referee just YC him, and the TMO can take over while the game carries on.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like Ian's suggestion. It's akin to the HIA process ... get the player off the field and let a seperate expert make an assessment & decison. Meanwhile the game goes on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think coloured cards are much more for real life spectators than for TV spectators.

TV spectators have a commentator to explain what's going on.

Pitch side spectators rely on the colour of the card

(Having said that, certainly useful for both)