Orange Card

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think coloured cards are much more for real life spectators than for TV spectators.

TV spectators have a commentator to explain what's going on.

Pitch side spectators rely on the colour of the card

(Having said that, certainly useful for both)
the commentators only know what's going on cos they can see the colour of the card that's been pulled :)

I think a coloured card looks more professional than the NRL hand signals

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the red meant permanently a man down, I'd agree. But it doesn't.

The Blyth red card was nailed on. My first reaction seeing it live was "he's walking". How the referee saw it otherwise is beyond me.
He didn’t see it otherwise, he followed the process correctly by awarding the YC and putting it on review, then 20 seconds later you can hear him on the comms say “there’s a high level of danger there Gappy(TMO)” and they reached the correct outcome.

The on field red card is left for punches, stamping, kicking etc this year.

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not in favour of the Orange card. Yellow and red seems to work fine in the SH where the TMO can upgrade to red. (PS don't like their 20 min red card but that's a different debate)
Surely this now means that you need two TMOs at the top level for each game. If you are reviewing a yellow too red scenario how can you be watch the game in progress

No, it’s actually a lot of time as they get 8 minutes game time to review. They have an assistant in the box with them who can bring up the angles and slow down the footage they want to see.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought they were planning on using two TMOs.
Not how it’s being done at SR this year. Like I said we have an assistant in the box with the TMO who ‘marks’ the incidents and then when there is a break in play (lineout, kick at goal, injury stoppage) the TMO can review the FP and make decisions. Like anything though the RCs are very easy to spot and if you’re talking yourself into a RC then it’s not a RC.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was thinking for the World Cup.

Given the low number of televised matches, you could possibly have a single central TMO looking at all the cards in a league. Especially as 99% will be, yes it is a yellow, carry on. And the 1% should be obvious.

NFL already has a central review team which I think checks every decision.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was thinking for the World Cup.

Given the low number of televised matches, you could possibly have a single central TMO looking at all the cards in a league. Especially as 99% will be, yes it is a yellow, carry on. And the 1% should be obvious.

NFL already has a central review team which I think checks every decision.
may I re-offer you post #28?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like Ian's suggestion. It's akin to the HIA process ... get the player off the field and let a seperate expert make an assessment & decison. Meanwhile the game goes on.
Perfect example in tonight's Crusaders v Blues match...

Fast forward to 4:05

Foul play in the lead-up to the Leicester Fainga'anuku try. Referee takes one look from one angle - decides that the shoulder to head contact meets the minimum threashhold for at least a YC. He bins the player, asks for the TMO to review. The game carries on and the TMO has time to look at the incident from multiple angles to come to his conclusion. Five minutes later, he calls the referee back and tell him the YC has been upgraded to RC.

WR will be nuts if they don't adopt this in all elite rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder if we will see it in the RWC , or is it too late to introduce it now

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The U20s is going to be the experiment of the RWC system I believe.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As they seem intent on this route then I’d ask that they make it as transparent as possible. Specifically:
  • They invest in the infrastructure so that the TMO has access to all cameras and is not at the mercy/whim of a local/national broadcaster.
  • The TMO team make the supporting clips available so when the ruling comes through there can be a simple announcement so the game keeps flowing. But at the next stoppage they play a short, maybe 10 seconds or so, highlight reel that supports the decision, and that is played on the tv feeds and at the ground.
Doesn’t need to be War and Peace - essentially just the equivalent of the sum-up we see and hear at the end of the current process as the video clip plays. Helps defuse the inevitable calls of bias against team X/country Y when cards get upgraded.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We do have access to all the cameras and have someone next to us driving the machine to give us the angles we want.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The host broadcaster for the RWC is HBS

Heres a bit about them

They have significant world cup and major event experience. They are working for RWC not for the French RU

I don't see any reason at all to suppose they would be biased to any specific country .. let alone seek to actually sabotage the TMO process

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
They have significant world cup and major event experience. They are working for RWC not for the French RU

I don't see any reason at all to suppose they would be biased to any specific country .. let alone seek to actually sabotage the TMO process

The host broadcaster may or may not have the logistics to cover every game with their own staff (even if they have any), they will subcontract out to local production services and camera operators in the same way that BT and PRL do.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The host broadcaster may or may not have the logistics to cover every game with their own staff (even if they have any), they will subcontract out to local production services and camera operators in the same way that BT and PRL do.
the sub-contractors could be in the business of TMO sabotage ? I guess they could, I heard that most sports steady-cam operators are actually Freemasons.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As they seem intent on this route then I’d ask that they make it as transparent as possible. Specifically:
  • They invest in the infrastructure so that the TMO has access to all cameras and is not at the mercy/whim of a local/national broadcaster.
  • The TMO team make the supporting clips available so when the ruling comes through there can be a simple announcement so the game keeps flowing. But at the next stoppage they play a short, maybe 10 seconds or so, highlight reel that supports the decision, and that is played on the tv feeds and at the ground.
Doesn’t need to be War and Peace - essentially just the equivalent of the sum-up we see and hear at the end of the current process as the video clip plays. Helps defuse the inevitable calls of bias against team X/country Y when cards get upgraded.
We do have access to all the cameras and have someone next to us driving the machine to give us the angles we want.
Same here.

For Super Rugby and all test matches, the TMO booth has access to all camera feeds at the ground, and all of the cameras video streams are digitally recorded to their own channels and synced with each other. The technical assistant can play back anything the TMO wants to see. The host broadcaster has the live feeds and what the technical assistant is playing back for the TMO, but they have no control over anything that is fed to the TMO booth.

seclosectil

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Orange cards would be used by referees when not certain a transgression is severe enough to warrant a red card, like the incident involving England's Steward during the Six Nations, which happened at high speed.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I read that in the RWC they will, indeed, be using the system where a YC can be upgraded to a RC by the TMO. Which I think is a good idea.
Should speed up the game .. we get on with playing
and the decision maker is not subject to the oooh! from the crowd as they watch the replays

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Seems to be working well at the U20 RWC 👍