Other than from a restart....

BrummieRef

Post Likes
So under 11 kicking rules. Much debate about thow to interpret the rule below from a restart. At the moment refing it as play on however , I'm interested in knowing how this should be interpreted.

Other than from a restart, a free kick or charge down, if from a kick the ball is played in flight by a player of the non-kicking team and knocked forward, a scrum will be awarded to the non-kicking team from where the ball is touched.

Scrum to non kicking team for restart, free kick or charge down?

Scrum to none kicking team for free kick and charge down only?

Scrum to none kicking team for charge down?

Scrum to none kicking team only if kicked in open play.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Basically all they are saying is that for a kick in open play, if the person who tries to catch it drops it. It's a scrum to the person who dropped it. That's all it means.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Agree with Phil's message.

Also wanted to add that having done this transition twice, what we found was that as soon as you introduce the facility to kick, some kids think they should kick ALL the time. The law variation above encourages those on the receiving team to have a go at making the catch and discourages too much open play kicking.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As per Phil E, basically reverses the norm in terms of who gets the scrum for a knock on when catching in open play, happened twice in the entire of my U11 coaching season, and without fail everyone on the touchline though I'd gone nuts!

However, don't forget you also have the opening law variation in your pocket, is if it's not material then play on, so depending on the team, conditions, scenario and everything else if the right thing is to let them play on then you can, did that quite a lot with mismatched teams

BrummieRef

Post Likes
Many thanks looks like my understanding was right and all the coachs were wrong ;-)

We are still at a stage where players are fumbling forwards catchs from restarts so happy to leave these a play on for now rather than penalise for a knock on at a restart. But no doubt it will come up towards the end of the season when we start playing at tournaments.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Genuine question .. are the 11 year olds as confused by these laws as the 41 year olds seem to be ? :)

BrummieRef

Post Likes
41 year olds? You're being to generous to some of my coach's! In all seriousness the kids do as they are told with a little concept of the rules further than the obvious questions that come from them. A lot of the confusion I deal with is the parents/coach's telling them what they can do with no regard to the NROP but basing it on what the adults do, then getting confused when they are penalised in the game.

So recently Opposition SH at a scrum, not staying in the pocket but coming up to mid way to compete for the ball, having to pass after a rip, limited numbers at the ruck and maul and fending off. A lot of the time it's play on unless it starts getting dangerous or the result of a mistake from continued pressure.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It's pointlessly complicated and causes all sorts of debate at every festival. I get the principle of encouraging catching and discouraging kicks so at least get the put-in going counter-intuitively, but why then have restarts different... can't it all be counter-intuative to make life simpler?

Kids just accept whatever put in the ref. gives - so they probably have given up trying to understand.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As above, kids are fine, may not fully understand but go with it. Parents and other coaches *think* they know, but don’t, and have no interest in finding out. That’s why I send out the new variations to all the parents each September, secretly it’s for the other coaches. Unfortunately knowing you’re 100% correct whilst being berated by a parent on the touch line doesn’t make it any better :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As above, kids are fine, may not fully understand but go with it. Parents and other coaches *think* they know, but don’t, and have no interest in finding out. That’s why I send out the new variations to all the parents each September, secretly it’s for the other coaches. Unfortunately knowing you’re 100% correct whilst being berated by a parent on the touch line doesn’t make it any better :-(

So different from adult rugby then :wink: