Others sporting interests

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Anyone have any other interests outside Rugby??
If so, what & how did you become involved with your other sport???

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Orienteering, cross country skiing, biathlon are my main ones - all after joining the Army. Athletics officiating (Track and Starting) after leaving. Working up to an Ultra (Falkland Islands) in Apr 21. Trying to get myself away from the computer screen!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
in my lifetime... cricket, squash, football (ish! I was always rubbish), gymwork, running, cycling, swimming, triathlon, hockey at school (and once played for UCWAberystwyth as I was the van driver and they were a man short! The netball team never needed me in such a vein, and I was under oath to not look in the rear view mirror in the transit van when the girls were changing !)

Have coached cricket, running and tri skills. Hold coahcing awards in rugby and triathlon.

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cricket. I was an OK club left arm spinner (I could bowl leg breaks too) and a middle order batsman. Retired 10 years now

Football. played in many positions up to the age of 14. Picked up 3 red cards (all in one season).

Darts. Once was nicked named Captain Zero for very embarrasing reasons. Was not too bad usually but lacked consistency.

Chess. I play to a pretty high standard. I was once selected to play for Wales (over the board) but the game was called off. I also play by correspondence (post / email and via the web). Here I've represented Wales a lot.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I play football, this is probably my 1st sport. Been playing it all my life. - Currently play in a Pub league.
Badminton - Went along with my mate at Uni. Now I run my local Club. I'm not particularly good at it. Can do all the shots to a good standard, but consistency is an issue as is court movement (due to being a fat prop lol).
I play golf a few times a year too. Again not great but can pull off the odd brilliant shot.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I umpire netball at a State League level and play Gaelic Football, got picked in the state team this year, but couldn't get to Nationals. Played Hockey for many years at Inner and reserve goalie, badminton, rock-climbing and cricket through school.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am amazed at this thread. I never realised there are other sports !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Play Station Battlefield V :cool: Does that count as sport?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Before Rugby, I played Soccer (as a child), Wrestling (folk style), Football (Gridiron), and Track and Field (800 m and Pole Vault). Picked up Rugby in college. Currently I referee, Rugby, Field Hockey, Wrestling, and am a starter for Track & Field. I play in an indoor Field Hockey league, Golf, and Alpine Ski

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Motorcycling and I follow cycling - if that counts?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Played baseball as a youth, and umpired during summers off from college. After a suggestion from a fellow rugger, started doing indoor soccer a few winters ago to keep fit when the temperature dropped, but the team disbanded in 2018 due to a combination of injuries and lack of retention.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Before Rugby, I played Soccer (as a child), Wrestling (folk style), Football (Gridiron), and Track and Field (800 m and Pole Vault). Picked up Rugby in college. Currently I referee, Rugby, Field Hockey, Wrestling, and am a starter for Track & Field. I play in an indoor Field Hockey league, Golf, and Alpine Ski
Do you use field hockey shoes? If so, what brand and where do you get them?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Do you use field hockey shoes? If so, what brand and where do you get them?

Your best best for footwear is Asics and their Gel Lethal.
I got their Lacrosse field shoes, and it was the best footwear bet I ever placed.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Your best best for footwear is Asics and their Gel Lethal.
I got their Lacrosse field shoes, and it was the best footwear bet I ever placed.
I've been looking at field hockey shoes, but it seems hockey players all have regular width feet. I just tried Amazon for lacrosse shoes, but nothing in my size. I'm thinking about trail running shoes now.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I played Football (proper) and Rugby League at School. I also did Judo until the building we shared with a dancing school was condemned.

During Rugby playing I played Badminton and a bit of Squash but just socially.

Post playing Rugby I had a go at Golf but hated it - I cannot rationalise playing a sport where if you try harder you get worse results! :mad:

I stumbled into refereeing and haven't done anything (organised) since.

I like playing Kubb in the garden in the nice weather usually (make that always) with can/bottle/glass in hand.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I go roller skating twice a week (well I did, might have to find a lonely piece of concrete now)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've been looking at field hockey shoes, but it seems hockey players all have regular width feet. I just tried Amazon for lacrosse shoes, but nothing in my size. I'm thinking about trail running shoes now.

REI are having a sale on Trail Runners in their online Outlet store...