Overpronator's Boots?

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Hi,

Anyone recommend boots that give good support for over pronators?

I've found the Adidas TRX have none and are lethal for my ankles.

Thx,
Mark

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Check out the asics website...they typically give a description of their footwear suitable for pronation.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Check out the asics website...they typically give a description of their footwear suitable for pronation.

They are good for running shoes, but they have one boot on their website and that is the lethal hybrid 4. It suggests it has midsole stability but thats about it.

Have you got experience of the Asics boots ?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Without meaning to sound flippant can't you use some sort of orthotic?

I have asics boots but then again I don't overpronate so that doesn't really help. I would have thought that their running shoe techology must have migrated into their other footware but then again that relies on someone telling the 8 years olds stiching them together to put the correct bits in - ooh bidda politics there!

If you get no further I can ask my Podiatry Student son if he knows of any makes that are better than others - don't get too optimistic. Pictures of him galavanting round town are ten a penny but some technical advice may take longer.

Good luck in the meantime.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I have found that Asics are the only football boot manufacturer that incorporates any type of foot support in their products. I have looked at many boots, some (such as Adidas) with outrageous price tags, that are still only a dead flat sole with studs on the bottom. You are just paying for the fancy upper.
I require a boot with good arch support and Asics were the only brand that had arch and heel support that I could find.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They are good for running shoes, but they have one boot on their website and that is the lethal hybrid 4. It suggests it has midsole stability but thats about it.

Have you got experience of the Asics boots ?

Fair call..I thought they had a bit more, but you're right it's limited to runners. My bad...apologies for sending you up the garden path.

Having said that, yes I've had experience with asics. I ended up with them after a recommendation after visiting 'Footlocker' looking for joggers, and had a thermo scan of my feet. Walked out of the shop with proper fitting boots and runners...and have never looked back. All boots before and after have either left me sore or nursing an injury. For eg I recently tried Nomis boots for hard ground with small studs (as asics don't make them) and starting the 2nd half I'd suffered a 1st grade calf tear. Previous calf tear was 4 years earlier wearing Adidas. Could be coincidence, but I think boots had something to do with it. Next boots Ill get will be asics again, and ill have 'footlocker' recommend the correct ones for my pronation (slightly over). Then again we have a dozen or so expensive asics models to choose from!

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Having said that, yes I've had experience with asics. I ended up with them after a recommendation after visiting 'Footlocker' looking for joggers, and had a thermo scan of my feet. Walked out of the shop with proper fitting boots and runners...and have never looked back. All boots before and after have either left me sore or nursing an injury. For eg I recently tried Nomis boots for hard ground with small studs (as asics don't make them) and starting the 2nd half I'd suffered a 1st grade calf tear. Previous calf tear was 4 years earlier wearing Adidas. Could be coincidence, but I think boots had something to do with it. Next boots Ill get will be asics again, and ill have 'footlocker' recommend the correct ones for my pronation (slightly over). Then again we have a dozen or so expensive asics models to choose from!

Thanks, that is really useful to hear, because I am convinced the minor calf tear i experienced was due to my boots. I used Adidas TRX for hard ground and really regret it - I would have been much better off wearing trainers (I mean, its not like I will be cleaning out or in the front row!).

I already have Asics boots (Lethal Scrum) for soft ground and they've been pretty good. But will go looking for some orthotics too. For extra stability I've also been using an ankle support.

God I feel old. And I'm only 46!

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Hi Liversedge, I am the so called Galavanter (cheers Dad). There are no boots for over pronators, the best thing that you can have is orthoses. Now, not being biased, i recommend a University Clinic. I can only give you an example, but at Northampton you would have 1 consultation where a pair of temporary felt insoles would be made, another a few weeks later to take a template and have a review of the temporaries, and then a final fitting. The cost of the consultations would come to £30, and the price of the device is £30.. obviously coming to £60 for the whole process. Now, depending on where you go privately (and as i can see you're based in That London) you're looking at £30-40 pound a consultation and then maybe £200 for the devices! The ones made at unis are arguably better as the only reason we charge is to cover costs, not to make money!

If you ever want to come up (only an hours drive or so) Northampton is the best Uni in the country for podiatry and has some of the best Orthopedics and MTL technicians lecturers in the country.

Can you tell me, do you go over on your ankles alot, do you have a high arch and do you get pain in your big toe?

Cheers
Bisto

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm curious, is there another London? Many people have told me that one is enough...

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Hi Liversedge, I am the so called Galavanter (cheers Dad). ...
Can you tell me, do you go over on your ankles alot, do you have a high arch and do you get pain in your big toe?

Cheers
Bisto

Oh my, I didn't see this last year I am so sorry for not responding. I found this searching again this year LOL. So responding on the off chance you might see this.

On all accounts yes and ankle supports really helped, on both feet !

I was regularly going past Northampton on my way to Halifax all year. Gutted I didn't follow up.
Still interested in following up if you see this.. am originally from Bedford and have family up there.

Mark

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do not buy any form of correction shoe/boot. Just buy neutral.

correction should be done taking into account the whole leg and only if its causing you hassle.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Do not buy any form of correction shoe/boot. Just buy neutral.

correction should be done taking into account the whole leg and only if its causing you hassle.

Well, certainly I need *something* fixed, but your point is well made.

It appears that 'overpronation' is out of date and (by my reckoning) a handy way for marketeers at Asics, Nike, NuBalance et al to sell their 'special' running shoes !

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/overpronation-accurate-or-out-of-date-terminology/

Mark

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Oh my, I didn't see this last year I am so sorry for not responding. I found this searching again this year LOL. So responding on the off chance you might see this.

I was regularly going past Northampton on my way to Halifax all year. Gutted I didn't follow up.
Still interested in following up if you see this.. am originally from Bedford and have family up there.

Mark

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/about-us/services-and-facilities/podiatry-clinic

01604 893232

It'll probably be a friday if youre interested... thats Sports and Paeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/about-us/services-and-facilities/podiatry-clinic

01604 893232

It'll probably be a friday if youre interested... thats Sports and Paeds.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hi Owen (OBT)
Having ref'd a uni game yesterday (!) , today I'm quite sore in the Achilles region of both heels (a 50 yro chasing fit students could be a contributory factor!)

Although TBH, i had noticed a common reoccurance in the few days after matches this season, and its been getting progressively (albeit marginally) worse but has fully eased in time for each next fixture, but this is actually the worst so far.

For background info, I wear Asics, which are fabulously comfy, but do have a 10mm heal rise (?!?)

Remembering your Podiatry studies, Any advise would be appreciated, including post (or pre match ) preventative recommendations.

Cheers.
Browner.

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
One to add to the dissertation statistics! Just normal calf stretches for 30 secs x3 each leg, then repeat with a bent knee (knocks out the gastrocs and just stretches soleus, the other 'calf' muscle'). While its still in the acute stage, massage and hot&cold therapies will help, as in alternate between one another one after another. If you need any other help let me know, but stretching is key mate!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
One to add to the dissertation statistics! Just normal calf stretches for 30 secs x3 each leg, then repeat with a bent knee (knocks out the gastrocs and just stretches soleus, the other 'calf' muscle'). While its still in the acute stage, massage and hot&cold therapies will help, as in alternate between one another one after another. If you need any other help let me know, but stretching is key mate!

Thanks, much appreciated.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

And get yourself one of these Browner

http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/prostretch-plus

I have one and it makes it easy to get the right stretch at the right places. IMO It's bloody brilliant! I gave mine at the office and use it when I'm having a break (or on a long phone call!)

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Or could youtube the stretches and save yourself £40 :biggrin: No evidence base that stretching devices to a particularly better job than normal deep held stretching

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Or could youtube the stretches and save yourself £40 :biggrin: No evidence base that stretching devices to a particularly better job than normal deep held stretching

Went through a full concentrated stretch on it and a post match H&C yesterday .....today, although I can feel it, it is much better than recently

Thanks for your help and advice.