Pascal Gauzere - All Blacks v Pumas

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I watched it several times. I agree he had his hands up and started to jump before the kick, but that is irrelevant.

This goes directly against what we were coached.

What matters is whether or not he had time to adjust to the flight of the ball. If, while in the air he realised his hands were in the wrong place and moved them to block the ball he could well be said to have hit the ball forward, rather than have it bounce off him.

I could not be sure. Hitting the ball is, of course, worse than trying to catch it and failing.

The time between the ball leaving Nonu's toe and it striking Senatore's hands was less that 0.2s. He would need to react to the trajectory, and adjust accordingly within that time frame Even the best Top Gun fighter pilots are not able to react this quick.

I'm not saying that the referee should realise this, I'm saying it was a marginal call and he should have gone to the TMO.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I suspect he had enough time, and control to be able to make sure that the ball bounced forwards off his hands. There was a suspicion, in my mind, of a volley ball type block. If that was indeed the case, that he was able to ensure it bounced forwards, then a PK would be correct.

I agree that it's borderline. I think the referee could have sold either decision (play on or PK) . Unfortunately, the decision that's clearly wrong is the one he gave, knock on.

I like Ian_Cook's template for a definition, but to me a charge-down simply involves a kick being blocked by a nearby opponent.

The referee in this case may have been partially unsighted, and perhaps he lost some degree of confidence in himself in a fast-paced game afterwards. I've not yet been in the position of losing confidence in myself, but have been in games where I should have been better positioned more than often enough.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This goes directly against what we were coached.
I was not responsible for how you were coached :biggrin:

The time between the ball leaving Nonu's toe and it striking Senatore's hands was less that 0.2s. He would need to react to the trajectory, and adjust accordingly within that time frame Even the best Top Gun fighter pilots are not able to react this quick.

I'm not saying that the referee should realise this, I'm saying it was a marginal call and he should have gone to the TMO.
Marginal, yes. TMO, yes.

I'm not sure when the charge down came into the Laws, but it was betweeen 1949 and 1959. Why do we think it was brought in? Presumably the IRB wanted to permit a charge down and not make it a lottery as to whether the ball hit the player's hand/arm or not (perhaps also realisiing how hard it could be for a referee). At all other times it is still a knock-on if the ball goes forward off hand/arm. You do not have to be aware of where the ball is, and may even be trying to get out of the way.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'm amazed that this is still being discussed. It was a charge down all day long. I'd have been fuming if my team had been denied a try by such a call. For it to have come from a "top" official is terrible.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
77 minutes & Sauvea's no arms tackle on a player without the ball.
Comments?
No mention of no arms from the To3+1.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
77 minutes & Sauvea's no arms tackle on a player without the ball.
Comments?
No mention of no arms from the To3+1.

I thought it was marginal, probably should have been PK. He actually was PK for a "late" tackle (which of itself was an absolute crock of shite) but, the right result in the end.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I see that Gauzere is AR at Ellis Park for Boks v ABs. Seems his assessors didn't share the same opinion as most of his earlier performance.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I see that Gauzere is AR at Ellis Park for Boks v ABs. Seems his assessors didn't share the same opinion as most of his earlier performance.
Nah. No doubt that appointment was made a long time before the his recent game. Besides, despite the hyperbole, in the end it takes time to move up levels and be consistent in performance. I think the leap from minor test matches/Top 14 to doing the All Blacks is about equivalent to High School to Colts, (etc) and I can speak from experience that a ref will have the odd shocker as he moves up.

Getting a gig as an AR in a big game will be good for his confidence and help his big match temperament.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nah. No doubt that appointment was made a long time before the his recent game. Besides, despite the hyperbole, in the end it takes time to move up levels and be consistent in performance. I think the leap from minor test matches/Top 14 to doing the All Blacks is about equivalent to High School to Colts, (etc) and I can speak from experience that a ref will have the odd shocker as he moves up.

Getting a gig as an AR in a big game will be good for his confidence and help his big match temperament.

Except he made 2-3 errors in the first half when ARing IIRC.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Except he made 2-3 errors in the first half when ARing IIRC.
Was he AR in the OZ v SA game just gone? That seems like a lot of mistakes for an AR in one half of footy.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Was he AR in the OZ v SA game just gone? That seems like a lot of mistakes for an AR in one half of footy.

The last NZ game at home IIRC. He missed a ball that was clearly passed back into the 22 and ran to where it went out only to be pulled back by the referee, plus 2 other instances that he really should have got right. I can't remember them off the top of my head but I will try and find my copy of the game to list them.