Penalising coaches!!!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As to pulling legs, Crossref, all my stories are actually true

Ok, come on NM -- the one where you lost your voice, so indicated Crouch Bind Set with little blows on your whistle, and afterwards someone on the sidelines reported you to the Society ... that one wasn't true was it? :)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
?
Do you RC a bunch of chavs wandering across the pitch ? (I've seen it happen).
Do you have Chavs in Wiltshire? I suppose you must play Trowbridge from time to time ... ?

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref, someone on this site actually found a report about this incident and posted it here! I think that they found it on the Rugby Welsh RC web site. It was reported to the Society by a player who was also employed by the RU who beleived that I should have abandoned the match on H&S grounds.

Going back to my origional posts, I apologise as I should really, perhaps, have started a seperate thread.

The first instance was a coach entering the FOP to deliberately put pressure on a child taking the last kick of a match which, if successful, would put his team into a cup final. I restarted the match with a penalty. I firmly believe that referees have a responsibility to the game as a whole. My actions showed to players and spectators that such behaviour is unacceptable. I understand that coaches are interested pretty much in simply winning the match/league/cup and that their position/job/mortgage may depend on same and therefore might agree with this sportsmanship - but in a childrens' match such behaviour must be punished in such a way that everyone is immediately aware that such behaviour will not be condoned in the game as a whole - just as the use of a blood pellet will not be tolerated. I could not show a RC - see below. With hindsight, I believe that the correct stance should have been to abandon the match - hindsight is such a wonderful thing! What was very interesting is that two active referees agreed with my decision but two retired referees did not!

The second instance was a youth team coach entering the FOP and both verbally and physically abusing me because he had been informed that a player may have suffered a head injury. I attempted to show a RC but was physically prevented from so doing. The showing of a RC to a player is no more informative to the player than words, the result is the same. The showing of a RC to a player, coach, spectator or a player kicking an opponent is simply to visualise to all present a very clear signal that such behaviour is unacceptable and what the immediate punishment is for that action. It may not always be in the LOTG but it is effective, immediate and unquestionable to spectators and players.

I will be raising the first instance at Wednesday's AGM so will give a brief summary of views shortly.

NM

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
. three coaches at different age group levels, from the same club, in eight days!

All three teams are through to finals!!!!

Be very interesting to see what happens next.
NM

Anything less than the Disc Committee sending a very clear message to this club, would be weak discipline management IMO. Let's hope they get the message across 'firmly'

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
? Do you have Chavs in Wiltshire? I suppose you must play Trowbridge from time to time ... ?

I have mates that play for Trowvegas so I can't comment :)

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The first instance was a coach entering the FOP to deliberately put pressure on a child taking the last kick of a match which, if successful, would put his team into a cup final. ...

.... I understand that coaches are interested pretty much in simply winning the match/league/cup and that their position/job/mortgage may depend on same

at a community club youth game? job? mortgage? Which club youth sides pay a coach's salary that would normally be large enough to support a mortgage? can you let me know cos I want to apply for that job!!!

I believe that the correct stance should have been to abandon the match

which potentially provides a "tactical option" in some circumstances.

The second instance was a youth team coach entering the FOP and both verbally and physically abusing me because he had been informed that a player may have suffered a head injury. I attempted to show a RC .... It may not always be in the LOTG

I do wonder why it isn't in the LoTG.. ?? Along with red cards for chavs, dog walkers and the tea lady who comes on the pitch and insists that everybody comes and eats NOW. (I've played in a cricket match when this happened!)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
NM, so in the first incident are they children, or are they Colts. In the OP you said Colts.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In many counties Colts are children?

Yup.

Here in D&W "colts" is U17 and U18. Though U18 could have players in it that in any season have attained their 18th birthday of course.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If somebody refers to "children" playing rugby, I automatically assume they mean mini rugby, not junior.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well ob you are wrong!

We call all kids rugby 'junior' split into youth and minis.

But under 18 years old is a child, whether a Colt or not.
There points of legal confusion at 14yo and 16yo but adults from a safeguarding perspective have attained 18 th birthday.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Colts is not a defined term, where I am Colts means u18. In other places perhaps it's different and refers to younger players....

Although an u18 rugby team in March will contain some 17 year old, I never hear anyone refer to them a children. Certainly when you look at an u18 team in person, 'chilfren' is not the term that comes to mind!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If somebody refers to "children" playing rugby, I automatically assume they mean mini rugby, not junior.

me too...

children = up to U12.
youth = U13-U16
Colts = U17 and above.

whilst maintaining an understanding that those below the age of 18 are "children" in the eyes of the law and for protection etc purposes.

clearly others mileage may vary

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

We call all kids rugby 'junior' split into youth and minis.
Yes, I stand corrected. Junior was the former term but we in Gloucestershire do not use it formally any longer because it causes confusion (to me!). We have a Mini & Youth section. The RFU Regulations refer simply to Age Grade Rugby.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
The children until 18 thing is simply worth remembering. There are a lot of legal issues that apply to a 17 yo and an 8 yo, as a ref, coach, first aider etc.

I was not suggesting saying 'now now children' to the brutes in the colts!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
In Scotland one becomes an adult at 16. There remain some things that you canot do at that age such as drive, vote in a UK election, or buy drink in a pub or off-licence, and there are some protections especially around contracts. Not that that changes rugby rules much!

Novice-Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Has anyone seen coaches coming onto the pitch saying they are "the water carrier". What action do you take?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At lower levels he probably is the only one! Nothing to get heated about - at international level the kicking coach brings on the tee as a declared water boy. Wouldn't want them coming on without the water bottles though.