Penalising coaches!!!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
.......... Yesterday, I refereed black's under seventeens in a cup semi-final.

Black were completely dominant and the fifty point differential was reached shortly after half-time. White coaches decided to play on - at least for a little while.

Towards the end of the match, some players drew my attention to a black's coach who was standing near to the fifteen metre line on the opposite side of the pitch from where play was, waving his arms and screaming. I immediately stopped play and approached him. He continued shouting and waving his arms so I stopped perhaps five yards from him. He was shouting about one of his players having received a serious knock to his head.

When he had finished his tirade, which inluded much foul language, he let me know in no uncertain terms what he thought of my refereeing ability. I decided to dismiss him from the playing enclosure for abuse and to use a RC so that players and spectators alike know what is happening - the primary purpose of using a card in relation to a coach in my opinion.

However, even as I reached into my pocket, he grabbed my arm and then pushed me in the chest. He then pushed past me using his shoulder to knock me back. By his time, another black's coach had appeared to usher him off the pitch and, after I had spoken to him, the second coach, from the playing enclosure.

Although there had been a number of hard collisions during the match, for the first time that I can recall, no player was forced to receive treatment during the match and, apart from technical infringements, there were only two penalties during the match - white for charging recklessly into a ruck for which he was yellow carded, and black for an attempted trip.

No player appeared to be injured, both skippers stated that their team mates were fine and so we played on. After the match, I was informed that the coach was reacting to a comment from a spectator that the coach's son had been seen holding his head!

I have put a report in and received a reply that a coach from black's under fifteen team had also been dismissed yesterday - three coaches at different age group levels, from the same club, in eight days!

All three teams are through to finals!!!!

Be very interesting to see what happens next.

NM
Update???
what did happen next NM?
How did the CB sanction the coach (club) who assaulted you?

anthony15

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Leinster rugby have a rule that if the coach comes on to your pitch without your permission you allow the retake immediately and tell the coach to leave, I had a similar incident.
game was recorded by the team complaining was called up to a disciplinary committee.
the committee found that I had been correct in what I had done due to the coach stopping the recording before incurring on to my pitch, I was being assessed and recorded so evidence was there.
he was given a three week ban.
to penalise is correct.
:ireland::ireland:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Leinster rugby have a rule that if the coach comes on to your pitch without your permission you allow the retake immediately and tell the coach to leave, I had a similar incident.
game was recorded by the team complaining was called up to a disciplinary committee.
the committee found that I had been correct in what I had done due to the coach stopping the recording before incurring on to my pitch, I was being assessed and recorded so evidence was there.
he was given a three week ban.
to penalise is correct.
:ireland::ireland:

in NM's original incident (post #1) it was complicated because it was not at all clear that the person on the pitch was a coach, he disappeared from the scene and was not seen again - he may have been simply a spectator. Indeed the team involved said he was a spectator

NM --
Afterwards, black officials stated that the coach who had invaded the pitch must have been a spectator as no-one knew him. I put a report in but I have heard nothing back.

It its a spectator, I'd go back to
- if the kicker is discomfitted and stops his preparation, or complains - then stop watch, give him time to settle. time back on, kick
- if he goes ahead and takes the kick - then kick stands.

Last edited: