[Law] Penalty here or scrum there!

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
What do you think the point of the scrum option is and have you ever had someone take? Do you even offer it ?
Why don’t they just drop it?

87511319-0A96-4BD5-AC42-AC9FCAB71196.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The two places could be a long way apart , or the scrum could be 5m from the goal line, so a team could choose the scrum to gain territory

But this is a very old Law and pre dates the time from when you can kick a PK to touch , and keep the throw in.. and that would often be the normal choice now.

But yes I offer it, and sometimes it is taken

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect it goes way back to when a penalty kick for touch gave the opposition the lineout throw. Therefore a scrum option made sense if it was in good position.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Or if you are dominant in the scrum. Good option then too.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Even with the option to take a lineout AND throw if youve a working scxrum but your normal throwers are all off sick that week and your lineout is a gamble...

removing the option merely limits the game. Leaving it in may mainly be redundant - but that doesn't make the option in itself wholely redundant.

Im sure we can all dream up scnearios whereby taking the scrum is the best tactical choice.

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I've had it a couple of times already this season. Dominant scrum/weak lineout, high crosswinds making the LO (And even finding touch) a lottery, kicking into the teeth of a gale, scrum deep in the opposition 22...