[Law] Penalty Kick After Time.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I saw a clip of a local game over the weekend which got me thinking.

With the new law trials, if a PK is awarded after time is up and the team kick to touch, we still take the LO. So far so good.

If the team are winning and want to end the game, we are told they have to take the PK (out of the hand or off the mark) and then kick it to touch ... which ends the game.

What if they take the PK and drop it? Given that this has happened after time is up, do we still take the scrum or blow up? :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If was accidental, scrum and game ends
If it was deliberate then PK

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If was accidental, scrum and game ends. If it was deliberate then PK
That was my first thought, but given that the team awarded the PK may not want to risk missing touch, could this lead to more "accidentally on purpose" dropped balls?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Related question: if red take an end-of game PK to touch, and blue manage to jump out of the FoP and knock it forward back into play, would you be happy rewarding the skill with the final whistle, or penalising blue for intentional knock-on?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
or penalising blue for intentional knock-on?

. . . only if Red were behind by 6 or less, I had a serious bet on Red and I was devoid of any empathy for the spirit of the game. In which case I'd throw in a YC to boot.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Related question: if red take an end-of game PK to touch, and blue manage to jump out of the FoP and knock it forward back into play, would you be happy rewarding the skill with the final whistle, or penalising blue for intentional knock-on?

Hi rich .
Very interesting question .
I am thinking offer red advantage & see how it plays out . ( if blue has knocked forward , its going to be going towards red players any way ) .
But buy law ,, the game would be over ,, so correct decision , should be to end game .

Mind you , as blue would have to be back 10 meters any way because its a penalty .
Red would of been better off kicking off the field towards their own goal line .
Surely no blue player could run that fast to attempt to knock same back in

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That was my first thought, but given that the team awarded the PK may not want to risk missing touch, could this lead to more "accidentally on purpose" dropped balls?

That's their problem not mine.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Mind you , as blue would have to be back 10 meters any way because its a penalty .
Red would of been better off kicking off the field towards their own goal line .

What if the PK was on the half way line? Nothing to say it was close to their goal line.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
What if the PK was on the half way line? Nothing to say it was close to their goal line.

they can be as close as they like:

[LAWS]
21.2 Where penalty and free kicks are taken
(a)
The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark...[/LAWS]

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You can take it on the DBL and tap it over.
I really do not know why the referee cannot offer no-side as an option.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

So you get a PK awarded on the half way line and you walk / run 50 metres to the DBL to take the kick. OK then fair enough we are getting into la la land now.

I'm out!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What if a team was awarded a PK 1m from the touchline placed the ball on the ground , and side-kicked it into touch :)

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What if a team was awarded a PK 1m from the touchline placed the ball on the ground , and side-kicked it into touch :)

Place kicks to touch are not allowed. Punt or drop kick only

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So your decision is ...

Its a breach of a requirement of the laws, "...but must not place kick for touch.". I am not going to be made to look a chump by allowing such a thing to pass, material or not!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will help you out

My point was: acting by the Lawbook, if you consider this a place kick to touch , then the sanction is a scrum.
So if time has expired, and you award a scrum it's game over.

So they have ended the game on a PK by kicking for touch

Unless you have a different decision ?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Hi rich .
Very interesting question .
I am thinking offer red advantage & see how it plays out . ( if blue has knocked forward , its going to be going towards red players any way ) .
But buy law ,, the game would be over ,, so correct decision , should be to end game .

I'm assuming red want to play on, blue want the game to end. So they're deep to cover the kick to touch... I think I'd play advantage.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I will help you out

My point was: acting by the Lawbook, if you consider this a place kick to touch , then the sanction is a scrum.

I would say "mate, what is it you're trying to do?" "

"I'm trying to end the game, ref"

"You can't do it that way. Go and get the ball, tap it then boot it into touch. Good lad"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I will help you out

Merely a suggestion... Deliberate and therefore a PK?

Didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would say "mate, what is it you're trying to do?" "

"I'm trying to end the game, ref"

"You can't do it that way. Go and get the ball, tap it then boot it into touch. Good lad"

It's an oddity, because if he attempted to end the game legally, and ignorantly, by punting to touch, you make him have a line out (as in Lions), but because he did it illegally, he gets another go

What if he actaually wanted the line out ? does he still get a second go, or did he lose his chance? Or do we just have a lineout.

It's a silly question, I know, but quite entertaining!

Last edited: