Penalty kick at goal switched to try?

armesd

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
HI,

During a match today, I saw a 10 opt to kick for the posts when given a penalty just outside the 22. When the opposition all lined up behind the try line, and on one side of the ptich,the cheeky bugger kicked it 1 foot and then picked it up and scored...

This was given in the match and despite looking through the rule book, this site and a few others, I can't find anything that says its not legal.... Is it?

Thanks

Dave

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
21.5 (b) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, the kicker must kick at goal. Once the kicker has made the intention clear, there can be no change of the intention. The referee may enquire of the kicker as to the intention.

Edit to add: welcome! Even if you are not (yet) a referee.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It wouldn't be given if I was refereeing.

Kicking it 1' is not a kick at goal!

[LAWS]Law 21.5 (b)
If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, the kicker must kick at goal. Once the kicker has made the intention clear, there can be no change of the intention. The referee may enquire of the kicker as to the intention[/LAWS].

I'm also curious as to why the opponents would line up behind the goal line - perhaps they deserved to concede a try?

If it was today all I can assume is it was a junior game which leads me to two thoughts - kicker has the idea for tiny kick? = good thinking young 'un - close but no cigar. My second thought is some coach has come up with this? = Dickhead!!

Edit bugger beaten to it.

PS welcome also.

Last edited:

armesd

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Lee,

Thanks for the input - you are correct.

1 - it was a junior match
2 - it was the lad's idea, not the coaches.

He said "I was trying to kick at goal, but I am not very good" (with a smile on his face) and I have seen him kick 45m.....

I am no the coach, or the lad - but the lads dad - I wanted to check so that I could give him some guidance for next time.

Thanks for the input..

Dave
It wouldn't be given if I was refereeing.

Kicking it 1' is not a kick at goal!

[LAWS]Law 21.5 (b)
If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, the kicker must kick at goal. Once the kicker has made the intention clear, there can be no change of the intention. The referee may enquire of the kicker as to the intention[/LAWS].

I'm also curious as to why the opponents would line up behind the goal line - perhaps they deserved to concede a try?

If it was today all I can assume is it was a junior game which leads me to two thoughts - kicker has the idea for tiny kick? = good thinking young 'un - close but no cigar. My second thought is some coach has come up with this? = Dickhead!!

Edit bugger beaten to it.

PS welcome also.