[Law] Penalty kick at goal

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Player places the ball on the tee. Pre-kick routine. Takes steps towards the ball to kick and the ball falls off.

Opposition players start to move towards the ball to play on. Referee (me) sends them back, allows the kicker to replace the ball on the tee with a team mate to hold it, and start the routine again, then complete the kick (all within 60 seconds).

Kick successful, cue outrage from opposition players, coaches and spectators - "you can't replace the ball".

I can't find anything to corroborate their stance in law, only under conversions. Was I correct?

Ta!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS](c) No delay. If a kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick a penalty kick at goal, the kick must be taken within one minute from the time the player indicates the intention to kick at goal. The intention to kick is signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or when the player makes a mark on the ground. The player must complete the kick within one minute even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. If the one minute is exceeded, the kick is disallowed, a scrum is ordered at the place of the mark and the opponents throw in the ball. For any other type of kick, the kick must be taken without undue delay.[/LAWS]

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Perfect thanks.

Knew I had seen it somewhere - a disparaging remark in their match report suggests I was ignorant of the law... as did their discussion after the game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the stupid thing is
- you've ALWAYS been able to replace the ball at a PK
- you've ALWAYS been able to replace the ball at a conversion kick, unless you'd already started the run up

so where were they coming from?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
the stupid thing is
- you've ALWAYS been able to replace the ball at a PK
- you've ALWAYS been able to replace the ball at a conversion kick, unless you'd already started the run up

so where were they coming from?

The second one, I think. "You can't replace the ball at a conversion if you've started your run up" -> "You can't replace the ball at a conversion" -> "You can't replace the ball".
A little bit of knowledge and all that!

Being slightly pedantic, isn't the limit now 90 seconds? Not that it matters here.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just to clarify - the title of the op was Penalty Kick, but the text of the op describes players running towards the kicker, which would be for a conversion. Which type of kick were you referring to?

PK - 60 secs from arrival of the tee etc (although most players don't understand the nuance, and hurry up the tee bringer), opposition cannot move, and must have hands down, no distraction

Conversion - 90s from try scored, players can approach as soon as kicker starts his run-up. He can replace the ball once he's started, but it's got to be quick...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Conversion - 90s from try scored, players can approach as soon as kicker starts his run-up. He can replace the ball once he's started, but it's got to be quick...

... or (for completeness) pick the fallen ball up and DK it instead.

didds

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just to clarify - the title of the op was Penalty Kick, but the text of the op describes players running towards the kicker, which would be for a conversion. Which type of kick were you referring to?

PK - 60 secs from arrival of the tee etc (although most players don't understand the nuance, and hurry up the tee bringer), opposition cannot move, and must have hands down, no distraction

Penalty kick.

The players thought that they could move towards the ball after it had fallen over. I obviously sent them back.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Penalty kick.

The players thought that they could move towards the ball after it had fallen over. I obviously sent them back.

I've never seen that at any level. They might have thought the 60 secs were up. What did the kicking side say - anything?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Penalty kick.

Technically since they can't move forward until the ball is kicked you could have advanced the PK forward 10m. Imagine how apoplectic they would have been then :biggrin:

[LAWS]21.5 (c) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand
still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until
the ball is kicked.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10
metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the
goal line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may
choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick is
not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.[/LAWS]

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

The 'from arrival of the tee' is an interesting one. I gave a kicker the hurry up recently well within 60 seconds of the tee arriving as they'd taken about 2 minutes to find and supply the tee! The joys of managing things just outside the laws.....

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Technically since they can't move forward until the ball is kicked you could have advanced the PK forward 10m. Imagine how apoplectic they would have been then :biggrin:
wow that wold have been brave given the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've never seen that at any level. They might have thought the 60 secs were up. What did the kicking side say - anything?

Fuming that I sent them away and let the kicker replace the ball!

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Fuming that I sent them away and let the kicker replace the ball!

?? I assume that's the NON-kicking side. I was interested in what anyone said on the kicker's side?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
?? I assume that's the NON-kicking side. I was interested in what anyone said on the kicker's side?

Ah. Appeals for the non kicking side to be sent back, and requests to replace the ball. Nothing much.