Penalty Kick blocked

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Putting this question here as it is from a course I just completed and there is no other obvious section to post it.

Q. A player takes a PK at goal (let's say 30m out and directly in front). An opponent is lifted by a team mate 1m in front of the crossbar, and knocks the ball sideways and backwards but preventing it from going through the goal.
What is the correct decision?
MUST have a Law reference to back up your answer.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What is the correct decision?
MUST have a Law reference to back up your answer.

[LAWS]9.A.2 KICK AT GOAL - SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
(d) Any player who touches the ball in an attempt to prevent a penalty goal being scored is
illegally touching the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
[LAWS]9.A.2 KICK AT GOAL - SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
(d) Any player who touches the ball in an attempt to prevent a penalty goal being scored is
illegally touching the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

+10m

Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. etc...

depending on many variables - may consider intentionally offending/foul play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
depending on many variables - may consider intentionally offending/foul play.

Its difficult to argue that a lifted blocker was not intentional :)

If you were toi card though... who would you card?

- the lifted blocker?
- the entire lifting pod?
- the captain/whoever made the call to lift and block (if overheard and definitive etc)
- the caller and the entire lifting pod?

didds

didds

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Its difficult to argue that a lifted blocker was not intentional :)

If you were toi card though... who would you card?

- the lifted blocker?
- the entire lifting pod?
- the captain/whoever made the call to lift and block (if overheard and definitive etc)
- the caller and the entire lifting pod?

didds

didds

My 2p worth - Just the player touching the ball - the lifters etc are allowed to lift, they have done nothing wrong. It's only the ball player that is offending and ONLY if they play the ball "to prevent a goal being scored". For example if the ball is falling way short then the ball player surely isn't offending at all.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
PK at the point where it was blocked and depending on the level YC for the person that has played it.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
ddjamo +10m is from Law 21.
Blocking is law 9 and I always assumed it was a new offence.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
My 2p worth - Just the player touching the ball - the lifters etc are allowed to lift, they have done nothing wrong. It's only the ball player that is offending and ONLY if they play the ball "to prevent a goal being scored". For example if the ball is falling way short then the ball player surely isn't offending at all.

[LAWS]21.5(c) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.
(e) If the opposing team infringes while the kick is being taken but the kick at goal is successful, the goal stands. A further penalty is not awarded for the infringement.
[/LAWS]

Implication (though nor clearly stated) is that an infringement of 21.5(c) results in a further penalty if the goal is not scored.

I'd card the whole pod - but perhaps that the freedom that only comes with retirement!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
PK at the point where it was blocked and depending on the level YC for the person that has played it.

Why does the level count in this instance? curious :chin:

Last edited by a moderator:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm not sure it's a YC offence at all, it surely would have been done in ignorance of the Law, thinking it's legal. So PK only

It's not an offence you'd commit cynically as there is no mileage in it, you save three points and give them ..... a PK in front of the posts where they can still get three points, but now have other options as well...

Cynical offences are usually to give away 3 to avoid a likely 5 or 7

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
"I'm not sure it's a YC offence at all, it surely would have been done in ignorance of the Law, thinking it's legal." wow wow wow, did you just say that?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"I'm not sure it's a YC offence at all, it surely would have been done in ignorance of the Law, thinking it's legal." wow wow wow, did you just say that?

but what would be the point of doing it? there's no gain.

it's not as if no one would notice, it's not like slowing the ball down in a ruck, where you have a good chance of getting away with it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but what would be the point of doing it? there's no gain..

Assuming of course that the ref knows law 9.A.2. Or the players are prepared to gamble it.

hands up - which of you honestly did know it ? and for thoise that didn't ... what level do you ref?

This is NO WAY a dig. I knew that - but I'll wager if i go and ask our youth age group coaches many of them probably won't. No surprise you may say of course!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I knew that - but I'll wager if i go and ask our youth age group coaches many of them probably won't. No surprise you may say of course!

didds

I agree. that's why I say that if it really happened, most likely the coach/player is in the camp who don't know.

If you do know the Law it's a quite a brave gamble to hope that the ref doesn't.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I agree. that's why I say that if it really happened, most likely the coach/player is in the camp who don't know.

If you do know the Law it's a quite a brave gamble to hope that the ref doesn't.

yes agreed. But if its a last ditch hope when the ball will go over and secure the game then _maybe_ its a gamble that some would risk ie its a hiding to nothing.

Its limited in that regard I would totally agree and that's entering yeah-but-no-but territory.

didds

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Surely if they were preparing to lift a player in line with the posts, even with your guide dog, stick and binoculars in the car you would spot something happening while the kicker was prepping - wouldn't you do something preventative?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely if they were preparing to lift a player in line with the posts, even with your guide dog, stick and binoculars in the car you would spot something happening while the kicker was prepping - wouldn't you do something preventative?
Such as say: Don't lift him until after the ball is off the tee - and don't try to stop it going over the bar!

I don't know about you, but I tend to be much nearer the kicker than the potential offenders in such cases. It's not like shuffling two steps and muttering in an ear - it would have to be a full-on shout near the kicker's ear during the kicker's preparations - poor form in my view.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Such as say: Don't lift him until after the ball is off the tee - and don't try to stop it going over the bar!

I don't know about you, but I tend to be much nearer the kicker than the potential offenders in such cases. It's not like shuffling two steps and muttering in an ear - it would have to be a full-on shout near the kicker's ear during the kicker's preparations - poor form in my view.

if you pointed at them and shook your head it would likely work :)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why does the level count in this instance? curious :chin:

If an U16's side did this I'd just award another PK (at the spot) and educate them, but if your boys do it on Saturday the blocker is likely to go to the bin :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If an U16's side did this I'd just award another PK (at the spot) and educate them, but if your boys do it on Saturday the blocker is likely to go to the bin :wink:

but this is my point in reality the U16s are just the level that you'd ever be likely to see this : big and strong enough to lift each other high enough to do it, smart alec enough to try out clever ideas, but still clueless about the Laws. I'd handle it same as you.

you won't ever see womble's team doing it -- they know the Laws and realise it's completely pointless.