Penalty kick to touch

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If he fluffed the kick badly I'd probably manage it by playing on and telling him to kick from the correct mark next time. (he tried to cheat and failed. Tough luck on!)
so if he takes the kick from the wrong place, you wait to see if it was a good kick or a bad kick before deciding whether to bring him back ?

So effectively you are playing advantage to the other team. I don't think you can do that because (if the kick was not taken properly) the ball is still dead, so no advantage allowed.

Do you signal advantage?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I can safely say that this has never been an issue for me.

The first kick to touch for each team, I make it very clear that the kick must be from my mark. It seems to set a workable precedent.

If they start to creep, a quick “10, the marks here” with a smile does the trick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can safely say that this has never been an issue for me.

The first kick to touch for each team, I make it very clear that the kick must be from my mark. It seems to set a workable precedent.

If they start to creep, a quick “10, the marks here” with a smile does the trick.
yes, I think that's the same for all of us ... but the question we are discussing is IF, later in the game, all of a sudden they do steal a material amount of metres in a kick for touch .... then what would you do ?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
yes, I think that's the same for all of us ... but the question we are discussing is IF, later in the game, all of a sudden they do steal a material amount of metres in a kick for touch .... then what would you do ?
Sorry that I was unclear. It that case I would tell them that they are not at the mark before they kick it.

It seems very clear to me that I can see that, as a former kicker myself, when they are likely to (literally) overstep the mark.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So when at some point you weren't alert to it and it happened.. just let it go ? (And probably warn them again)

Nothing wrong with that, it's probably what I would do

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So when at some point you weren't alert to it and it happened.. just let it go ? (And probably warn them again)

Nothing wrong with that, it's probably what I would do
I don’t actually know, it’s never happened, it’s never been an issue.

I don’t know what I would do if I’m honest, it would probably depend on the context, and I would decide at the time. Reading through the whole thread here, I see different views and I don’t hold a strong preference either way.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, it's always good to think about unusual scenarios before they happen - so that if/when it eventually does, you are prepared.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Absolutely right, I wouldn’t suggest how anyone should prepare themselves, or approach the game. We’re all individuals and everyone needs to do what works best for them.

It is though, valuable to share experiences and thoughts, so that we can all consider and improve as and when.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
No you can't!

Being "sole judge", still requires you to act within the laws of the game. As the law you paraphrase states:

6: Within the playing enclosure

The referee is to the sole judge of fact and law during a match. The referee MUST (my emphasis) apply the laws of the game FAIRLY (again my emphasis) in every game.
I totally agree... sadly I have experienced games in the past where a referee has essentially said "I don't care what the law book says, I'm in charge here!"

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I totally agree... sadly I have experienced games in the past where a referee has essentially said "I don't care what the law book says, I'm in charge here!"
Agreed.

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Just a friendly reminder that this is a hypothetic answer that I gave to a hypothetic situation :).

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What we need is an actual answer. Hypothetical situations still needs sensible answers to further understanding. No?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can anyone point me to a clip where a penalty kick for touch was taken on or behind the mark in this weeks international games?
Asking for a friend ;)
Yep it was just before that line out where both teams formed a single line parallel to and half a metre from the mark of touch on their side of the lineout between the five-metre and 15-metre lines. When they formed up without delay and they also maintained a gap between the lines until the ball was thrown in. And players from the team throwing in did not leave the lineout other than to change positions with other participating players and certainly not to step away form the line of touch, pre-bind and hit the maul.

You must remember all that happening, in every game!